Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher EQ7 cancelled

George

There's rumors going round the Australian forums that the new EQ7 has been canceled, no reasons given but apparently a new mount the EQ8 is being released in February.

Sounds like the EQ7 was a prototype and with the number 7 being unlucky to the Chinese has been replaced by 8.

Thats my guess :eek:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant wait to see a larger load carrying mount from these guys and i dont mind what they call it!

Just calculated i am going to be stuffing 22kg on my eq6 this year to see if it can handle it...would prefer a larger mount though.

I wish they'd hurry up, an affordable 45kg payload observatory mount, is just what I (err) "need".

Ah, the classic triangle. Quick, Cheap, Good -- choose two, or probably just one :):eek:

Seriously though, what's the price point for this mount? I think I heard £1500 somewhere?? Can they really make a mount which will compete with others at almost 10x the cost?? (and still make a profit on it?)

There are actually two new GEQ mounts under development at Synta. The large mount displayed at Photokina was what will probably become the EQ8. The EQ7 will sit between the current EQ6-PRO and the EQ8. Both the EQ7 and EQ8 are under development. We cannot be certain of an ETA but are predicting that at least one will be launched later this year.

HTH,

Steve :eek:

The update we received this morning says the EQ8 will be first to arrive, probably later this year. The EQ8 is what we have all mistakenly been calling the EQ7 so it hasn't actually been canceled or delayed. it is the one shown in this picture:

new_skywatcher_geq_mount.jpg

The update we received this morning says the EQ8 will be first to arrive, probably later this year. The EQ8 is what we have all mistakenly been calling the EQ7 so it hasn't actually been canceled or delayed. it is the one shown in this picture:

new_skywatcher_geq_mount.jpg

What a beauty, better start saving.

:):eek::D:eek: I take it that beast comes on a flat bed truck not a tripod.

Is there any mention of the soon to be "older model" EQ6's having any price reduction ?? It shocked me how many people already have EQ6 mounts given the cost new so I imagine there are plenty out there happy to spend the cash and get the new EQ 7/8 and I imagine sales will be down slightly on new EQ6's if there is a flood of 2nd hand ones available.

I imagine there are plenty out there happy to spend the cash and get the new EQ 7/8 and I imagine sales will be down slightly on new EQ6's if there is a flood of 2nd hand ones available.

Sorry but I don't get that. The EQ6 is (just about) portable, this beast isn't going to be. Looks like an effort to penetrate the Paramount ME / Astrophysics AP1200 market rather than an upgrade to a popular mid-range mount.

Archived