Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion 68 Deg EP's - Anyone Used them???

Hi guys

So it begins.... tomorrow starts the assembly of my telescope kit. In the morning i intend to order the the first 4 of 8 Baader Hyperion 68 DEG EP's...

Has anyone got a set of these or had any experience using them, they are £92 a pop so i'd like to be sure before i buy.

Also for a similar price does anyone have any alternatives and why?

Cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I' not rush into buying a whole set of anything to be honest. The Hyperions are good mid priced EPs but i' aim as a starting point to get maybe three EPs to start with, a high power, mid power and a low power and see where you go. Obvioulsy selecting hi, med and lo power will depend on your scope.

I like the13mm but am less keen on the 5mm that I have.

Cheers for the advice guys, very helpful.

Great review jahmanson

I think I'll start with the 5mm, 10mm, 17mm & 24mm to give myself a start and fill in the gaps where I think it's necessary. Throw in a good 2/3x Barlow as well.

I was looking at the Meade 5000 range for that

Cheers for the advice guys, very helpful.

Great review jahmanson

I think I'll start with the 5mm, 10mm, 17mm & 24mm to give myself a start and fill in the gaps where I think it's necessary. Throw in a good 2/3x Barlow as well.

I was looking at the Meade 5000 range for that

With the right barlow you might not have any gaps to fill :(

I agree with Whippy - the 8mm is smashing and suits all my scopes (esp the cpc), and Olly on the Radians - also with Altair on the 8mm-24mm zoom - a super general purpose ep, and with whoever said don't get all 8 at once lol.

You can achieve a range focal lengths with just two well calculated hyperions and both fine tuning rings (28mm and 14mm - only around a tenner each).

I have the 17mm, 8mm, and the zoom plus both ftr's and this provides close to the flexibility of a whole set (it'll save you a few bob too). I also have the 12mm 8mm and 5mm Radians for crystal clear close up stuff.

Any combination of these will give great results with a Celestron Ultima or Orion Shorty 2x barlow. Buying s/h from the right source is allways a good idea - the savings you make will be well worth it. Or you can get "2 for 1" new, in the bank hol sales at some retailers.

Just a few ideas for you that may help :(

I like them - Probably bought too many in one go, but they are a fine mid-price eyepiece and a good "jumping off place", if you ever fancy something more exotic (and expensive!). :)

Not awfully keen on the extension tubes, but the Antares 1.6x 2" Barlow also works well with them. Either way you get an instant taste of the "next" [Hyperion] series member up... :(

just a note on the tuning rings, don't bank on wanting to make the adjustment to the eyepiece "in the field". Its not hard to do but I've found with gloves, the cold etc its not something I wanted to be doing that often, YMMV.

Nice one Mav - you should also get the two ftr's which will fit any of those and try them out - might not need any more ep's and the ftr's are only ten or twelve quid apiece :eek:

See table at bottom of this page:

: Rother Valley Optics Telescopes, Binoculars & Accessories

cheaper at FLO

Baader Planetarium - Baader Hyperion Finetuning Ring

just a note on the tuning rings, don't bank on wanting to make the adjustment to the eyepiece "in the field". Its not hard to do but I've found with gloves, the cold etc its not something I wanted to be doing that often, YMMV.

Ok thanks for the heads up.

Airglow

Archived