NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Newbie

khalen

Hi all. I am a newcommer to astronomy. Always had an interest but had never got the time to study it. Now I am a stay at home dad looking after the house and kids. I am studying maths and physics with the OU and going to be working toward an Astrophysics degree, hopefully.

I don't have any gear yet so I will be be looking on here a lot to get some knowledge of what is in the heavens and what to use to look at it with. I, like many of us, have a VERY limited budget.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Khalen, welcome to the forum.

When you have posted fifty times, you will get access to the "For Sale" area. There are some great deals to be had, and lovingly looked after as well. I got my scope off a fellow member, and gave a home to a scope no longer required.

Thanks for the welcome all. I am not intending to buy any equipment until I know what I am going to need it for. I am not totally sure where my interests lie at the moment and I assume I would need a different scope depending on what I want to use it for.

Thanks for the advice regarding the 'For Sale' area Baz. Will definitely make use of that when the time comes. In the mean time I might spend a few pound on a decent book or two. Suggestions would be useful here!

A cheap way into the hobby would be to use binoculars. Check Liddl for the 10x50 "Rocktrail" brand - only £15 and whilst not top quality, very useable and great value for money.

"Turn Left at Orion" is a good book describing 100 common objects to see with a small telescope, as well as position info, how to find, and well illustrated views. Great for learning your way around the sky.

Also - download "Stellarium" planetaria software. It's free, very good, and extremely useful for any beginner.

Check out the primers section for "How to Choose a Telescope".

Hope that's helpful. :(

A cheap way into the hobby would be to use binoculars. Check Liddl for the 10x50 "Rocktrail" brand - only £15 and whilst not top quality, very useable and great value for money.

I have been looking at some bins on ebay and found a few around £30 that I might investigate.

"Turn Left at Orion" is a good book describing 100 common objects to see with a small telescope, as well as position info, how to find, and well illustrated views. Great for learning your way around the sky.

I will look out for this book ... thanks.

Also - download "Stellarium" planetaria software. It's free, very good, and extremely useful for any beginner.

Check out the primers section for "How to Choose a Telescope".

Hope that's helpful. :(

Fantasic ... I'll download this tonight and take a look. Thanks a million.

Hi from me too from an ex stay at home mum :). Well alright I stayed at home for a few months, Jeremy Kyle forced me back to work :p

Haha ... I was made redundant a few years ago and decided to relax although Jeremy Kyle has NEVER been on my TV. Discovery channel I can't say the same for though. :(

Hi Kahlen and welcome to the forum. Don't forget that as the new year emerges, so do the various astro societies and observing groups who will attempt to put on free evening viewing sessions through member's kit. This will help further enhance your understanding of the subject and is great for kids too.

"Turn Left at Orion" is a great book BUT a new version is due in the spring which will include revised tables/data (current tables expire this year) and so will offer you better value for money.

Clear skies

James

Archived