NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Newbie

khalen

Hello Kahlen, a very warm welcome to SGL, I have not seen any comments from our bino users, but IMHO the exit pupil on the 20x50 will be 2.5 ( objective/mag ) which is very small indeed, the average norm recommended is an exit pupil of 5 but this again is dependent of age, when you are younger your pupils are much larger, I think a figure of around 7 is often quoted, as you grow older this diminishes to around 5 or less in some cases, I have never looked through bins with such a small exit pupil, but it might be like looking down a stove pipe, I am sure there will be other forum members who have more experience than I have, who would be able make further comment, enjoy the forum.

John.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... the exit pupil on the 20x50 will be 2.5 ( objective/mag ) which is very small indeed, the average norm recommended is an exit pupil of 5 but this again is dependent of age, when you are younger your pupils are much larger, I think a figure of around 7 is often quoted, ...

I learnt this after I posted the question. So I assume that they may be a little too powerful for my first pair. I understand that it might be a little difficult for me to keep the things still enough, and I have hit my 50's now so i might need a little extra help! :( I will keep looking amd see what comes up.

If you are going to hand hold your bins you need to consider the range of 7x50 to 10x50, the latter being the most popular among Astronomers I believe, although the 7x50 would be easier to hold steady with the reduction in magnification, other criteria would include BAK-4 prisms and multi coated lenses, Srathspay 10x50 Marine bins achieved a S@N award some months ago and were reasonably priced, there are , of course, many other makes on the market so you pays your money and takes your choice, as they say.

John.

I am studying maths and physics with the OU and going to be working toward an Astrophysics degree.

Welcome aboard.

We seem to be studying the same degree. I'm currently doing S196 and will be starting S282 next month. Hope your study is going well.

Dave...

Archived