Another new guy

Wish

Hi everyone. As the title says, I am new here. I've just started to get into stargazing in the last few weeks. I found a cheap old pair of Binos under my bed and have been using them to try to learn some of the features of the moon.

Anyways, I've looked around other sites etc. and all the advice seems to tell me to start with a decent set of Binos, the ones I'm currently using are not really any good. Any advice for a beginner?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, welcome!

I had a pair of bad binoculars until recently. They still managed to show me some nice sights: M31 (the Andromeda galaxy), the Double Cluster and M13 were all good.

Have you tried resting binoculars on a fence or against a wall to steady the view? I found that simple expedient helped tremendously with the quality of view.

What sort of binoculars do you have? 10x50s seems to be regarded as a good basic pair.

Hi Ags, thanks for the response. My Bino`s are only 5 x 30 so not really up to basic standard. So far I've only looked at the moon from the back garden and I use my kids trampoline frame to rest on :)

Can I get a decent set of 10 x 50 binos for under £100?

If you want to go BIG then you can pick up a pair of 15x70s from First Light Optics for £50, the sponsor of this forum (see link at top of this page). You'll need to spend some money on a good tripod for them though, they are heavy.

Hi

A warm welcome to the SGL

Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50 Sky at Night Best Buy around £80.00

Take a look at our sponsore at the top of this page click on First Light Optics

and it will take you there

Good Luck

Doug

Essex

Hi Wish and welcome to SGL :)

The Liddl 10x50's are great for £14.99 and they do a no quibbles one month guarantee so you can change them till you're happy or get a refund. Likewise the SW 15x70's from FLO are excellent value (mine are on a cheap £20 s/h camera tripod and fine).

Also download a copy of Stellarium - its free planetarium software that shows you where everything is in real time at your location. Sky at Night Magazine also gives a good guide to monthly objects of interest for binocs and scopes.

All the best :)

Hi Wish,

A very warm welcome to SGL, I would recommend getting your order in for a pair of 15x70 from FLO before the offer closes, they are heavy, but if you look up the many threads on the simple devices some people have used to support them without the expense of a tripod ( see Cloudy Nights forum ), you will see they are a good investment, also have a look in the forums bins section, for details of the free program called TUBA, excellent star maps you can play about with to suit your own requirements, then print for outside use, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Archived