Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyelashes?

Mick.G.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an issue with my eyelashes when viewing high mag eyepieces.

I have eyelashes like a camel though.... :)

Same here! lol

I found the 10mm EP to make it more of an issue so I pretty much had to cup the EP with my hands. I also had a coat over my head so I could pull back from the EP enough and not be bothered by light :)

I had a look into this problem today as I've not been particularly aware of it. I found that if I squinted somewhat, as you tend to do when looking into a small lens diameter, then the eyelashes were noticeable, almost like a Ronchi test. If I openened my eye further, the effect disappeared. I have pretty average eyelashes (despite being a keen solar observer!) :).

I reckon most people will suffer with this, as you say, especially with the shorter focal length EPs. It's not the eyelashes so much for me but the oil they leave on the coatings! even worse with my daughters when they (rarely) observe - mascara - aaaagh!

it's when you can see your eyebrows you have real problems - facelift time!

get her to do it with a razor blade or a piece of glass - that would achieve your aim of shorter lashes and maintain your machismo.

I was thinking of making do it with the largest pair os scissors I could find or getting her to hold me up a gun point so at least I had an excuse. The problem is the buggers would grow back and I would have to go through it all again in a few weeks. haha.

I thought men tended to have longer eyelashes than women what with being generally hairier and all. As for trimming eyelashes, I mean call me vain, but no way! Just go to a more complex more expensive lens design that has longer eye relief. Long eye relief is better for giving other people a view too.

Some people have to worry about more than just their eyelashes obscuring the lens!

PatrickMooreREX_228x336.jpg

Sir Patrick obviously had the same problems at an early age and decided on the shave method. Only I hear they grow back twice as thick, shame Sir Patrick wasn't told of this. :)

I prefer using my left eye myself but to go for a more uniformed look I think I'd have to shave both :)

• 1 month later...

Archived