Hello from Hastings, England!

Mattrick Moore

Hey, I just wanted to say hello to everyone :)

My 2 sons and I want to get into astronomy (i'm hoping it will stop them wanting to play the xbox all the time!) and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of telescope to buy?

I have a budget of around £300, but could push it up a bit if necessary.

I've done some research and the Dobsonian Skywatcher Skyliner 200P looks a good one to start with. What do people reckon?

Also would I need any accessories?

If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to the group :)

The 200P is a great starter scope - can't go wrong with that. You'll need a collimation tool to keep the mirrors lined up, and, depending on how you get on with the "straight through" finder scope, you might decide on either a "red dot finder", a "telrad", or a "right angled finder". But that's a decision for later - budget £50-£80 extra for that. You would also benefit from a "Wixie" magnetic angle guage (£25) and a copy of either "Stellarium" or "Cartes du Ciel" (planetaria software both free to download).

All the best to you and the lads :)

Hi Matt, welcome to the Lounge.

The 200p will give you some excellent views.

Have a read up on collimation, it seems daunting at first, but you soon get the feel for it. Practice on cloudy days, when you have the time and daylight, it makes it that bit easier. Do it with the tube horizontal, so if you drop something, it won't hit the mirror!

If you have any questions feel free to ask them.

Hi Matt and welcome to the group. :)

The 200p is a great idea, and as the guys have already said, you'll need to collimate but it really is not a big deal at all. You'll get plenty of help here and there are some great guides we can point you to when you're ready.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Mark

Hello Matt and welcome to the forum.

Like everyone else I would recommend this dobsonian. I don't know how old your boys are but the design of this scope makes looking through the scope's eyepiece very easy for the 'little people'. Would also recommend getting hold of a red light torch which helps preserve night vision when reading the S@N charts which are red light friendly and also when checking that Wixie gauge when finding stuff.

Clear skies

James

Hey, I just wanted to say hello to everyone :)

My 2 sons and I want to get into astronomy (i'm hoping it will stop them wanting to play the xbox all the time!) and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of telescope to buy?

I have a budget of around £300, but could push it up a bit if necessary.

I've done some research and the Dobsonian Skywatcher Skyliner 200P looks a good one to start with. What do people reckon?

Also would I need any accessories?

If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt im in the same boat with my son with the xbox etc:)

welcome to the site.

steve

Archived