Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally on the TV firm

spaceboy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some deals are just too good to miss..... need I say anymore. B)

5mm Baader ortho

3-6mm Nagler zoom

7mm Nagler

9mm Nagler

13mm Nagler

16mm Nagler

22mm Nagler

31mm Nagler

Spaceboy, they are a great collection! :)

I'm getting the 3-6mm Nagler Zoom :)

Spaceboy, they are a great collection! :)

I'm getting the 3-6mm Nagler Zoom :)

Thanks Telrad. The 3-6 zoom is IMO a superb EP but it isn't to every bodies taste. On good nights I rarely take mine out of the focuser but the 50' FOV means you ideally need some sort of tracking to really enjoy the views.

Good grief that is some glass! Nice one Spaceboy

Proves the point no matter how big or better you have something, there is always someone out there elsewhere who has it better :)

Telrad what EP's you got?

You at it again spaceboy? :) Great set of oculars sir :)

and some nice scopes to boot :eek:

Thanks Nexus. The set of Nags are now complete but TBH the 31mm is only on trial for the moment. Anyone who has seen and held one will know that they tip the scales at a whopping 2.2 lbs and I have never been keen on the larger that life EP's out there. I really like my Baader 31mm but due to exit pupil I can't really go much longer on the EP FL's and the 31mm Nag was going to offer me significant improvement in FOV over the 22mm Nag. I have recently sorted some balancing for my dob so maybe the 31 Nag will work out. As I had to beg for an advance on B'Day and Xmas money it won't be going anywhere soon. Just a shame that I'm having to use premium glass in less than premium scopes but hey you can't win them all. Maybe one day I will get that OO B)

Great that you have the ep's...... and the scope? its good that you do have some indication of the sort of views that can be delivered when using your dob. :) wonder how much better the views would be using a 10" dob of reasonable quality as compared to what I see using the 925. I guess I would really have to step up to a 12" dob as far as aperture goes but would be thrilled to try out a 13mm nag on any good sized one just for starters! One day soon :)

Great set of glass you have got yourself there.

Bargain of the year too.

I Know what you mean about the weight of the King.

Its a bit of a chubby lump.

TBH I rarely use it in my 10" for that very reason. I find the 20mm T5 big and wide enough in that scope.

In my larger scope though the 31mm is always the first eyepiece in the focuser and sometimes stays there all night.

Sensational eyepiece.

Regards Steve

was that the one recently on AB&S? nice scoop!

look at M13 with the 31mm. I recently did (albeit in a 3m focal length 22") and the view was very special. It's such an easy eyepiece to use the 31mm. I bet M42 will be special too!

at f4, the exit pupil is just too big for me and hence I went for the smaller brother, the 26mm Nagler; this also prevented me being seduced by a 22mm too. still a 1.3 degree field and with 16" of aperture I won't be complaining :)

I'm no fan of big EP's and although the 31mm Nag could be considered a beast of an eyepiece when I compare it to the 28 UWAN it didn't fair too bad and so I felt it was worth groveling to the wife when I saw one come up for sale. For the price we ended up paying and the superb condition it is in I am more than happy with the EP. The maximum exit pupil will be 6.5 mm and the smallest is 2.6 mm so Fingers crossed it gives me some good views in all my scopes.

Thank you all for the comments.

The EP case is looking a little more cramped these days :)

SPACEBOY

How long before them ethos's come a callin! LOL B)
Only a matter of time I reckon :)

LOL :) No I'm all done now guys other than maybe a 6mm BGO (or Delos :eek: )for a x200 planetary in my dob. I know I have said I'm all done several times but you can never fore see opportunities arising that are too good to miss. Regards Ethos I have already had these opportunities and when it came to the crunch I just couldn't bring myself to do it. For me the Naglers meet the happy medium of FOV in a compact EP. I was even shocked to see 31mm actually isn't that big when comparing against similar EP's around that FL. I'm sure Ethos are as amazing as people have commented but I just don't think they would work for me. Reading recent posts it is even more evident that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Lovely collection base and contents spaceboy :)

I have a 13mm and a 2 x barlow incoming as well. How have you done those sections of foam in your case? Have you cut out every column, and then just placed them altogether?

I am putting in a 35mm panoptic in my case atm, but I need to put a few pieces of foam back in for the first time. Any tips?

As I was building a new collection I figured there would probably be some changes and kept all of the foam I took out. Any foam I have had to put back in I put thin beads of clear silicone down the original tear lines. The silicon forms a strong but still removable bond, dries clear and remains flexible so has worked out saving me having to buy another flight case. Admittedly the configuration is not the most desirable but it should still offer enough protection to the EP's.

Hi all,

I have been give the go ahead to purchase quality ep's by the OH, and after hours and hours of reading every EP thread going, I have finally decided on three candidates. As they are all Televue, I'm posting here in the hope that experienced members will give their honest opinion of the short list.

I have a 200p Dob(manual), backyard observing with moderate LP, and I do wear glasses...but don't use them in the eyepiece.

My choices are...

High power..7T6 (x170)

Med power..13T6 (x92)

Low power..27mm Panoptic. (x44)

Hopefully this gives me a good, useful set of mags...

Any input/ information concerning their performance, especially in the 200p dob would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Vicky.

Hey Vicky,

I have the same scope, you are making some great decisions :)

The 13mm is a stonker, as is my larger panoptic. But I have the 24mm and it is a 1.25" fitting, the 27mm a 2". So it's worth remembering you will have to change your adapter everytime you switch magnifications. Also the weight difference is quite large between the 13 and 27, compared to the 13 and 24 (which is because less glass etc.) This could mean you need a counter weight to consider as well.

I would also consider a televue barlow instead of the 7mm. It would give you relatively the equivalent magnication when used with the 13mm and it could also be used for collimation and webcam imagining etc. Also it is much cheaper. If you got a barlow with the 27mm as well it would give you a nice magnification between 92 and 44.

This is the direction I have been reading up on recently, considering we get such shoddy weather and hardly any sessions that are top quality to use high magnifications. Feel free to pm me with any questions too

HTH

Adam has a good point about barlows but it may pay you to do some research on barlowing long focal length EP's in a fast scope as there is talk of it causing issues with either eye relief or exit pupil I forget which one. TV over came this problem by introducing the powermate but 2" powermates are not cheap which is no problem is you plan on regularly using it but you also have to remember the extra weight and length a PM will add to the focuser and balance of the OTA.

Archived