Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally on the TV firm

spaceboy

No because the XW already exists and is cheaper.

The real point of the Delos is to make a load of people ditch their radians and panoptics to buy one. But shouldnt they have just bought XW's?

just because something already exists doesnt mean people cant try to improve on it otherwise we would all still be driving around in ford model t's. and im sorry to say the purpose of every company in the world is to get more money from you

anyhoo there is already a thread on delos with peoples thoughts on them maybe your points would be better put there

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just because something already exists doesnt mean people cant try to improve on it otherwise we would all still be driving around in ford model t's. and im sorry to say the purpose of every company in the world is to get more money from you

Yes I understand your point but surely it is only valid when they actually improve whats already available in the market place, hence why I have ethos eyepieces. Unfortunately I cannot see how the Delos improves anything?

Yes I understand your point but surely it is only valid when they actually improve whats already available in the market place, hence why I have ethos eyepieces. Unfortunately I cannot see how the Delos improves anything?

Only time and unbiased reviews will answer that question so it's a wait and see and keep an open mind

I am happy for an alternative from Televue to some of their other ep's, having only recently bought 3 to add to my other 2 thats good enough for me but I may change a couple of them too as time passes, Ethos? if I can afford one or two, 31 type 5 Nagler? sure! again its the expence of them so the Panoptics and the Radian will be fine, dont think I will sell my Naglers though. Delos? will wait and see what the opinions are on them.

Pentax, from what I have read on here are about the only high quality alternative to Televue so must be great to use, I have never tried one but would be interested to see the comparrison.

I find ep choice's a mine field to be honest, always a better one to try and will your scope be a good match, guess not in my case, at least for the 925.

Even still there is no doubt they were an improvement on the plossl one's I first owned.

The main thing I am beggining to realize is not about the set up you may use but are the conditions any good for observation?.

That is something no high quality ep or scope can help with.

When I tried a Pentax XW 10mm I recall thinking that it was very much like a 70 degree FoV Ethos with longer eye relief.

If I decide to move to 70 degree / longer eye relief eyepieces in the 10mm - 5mm range then the XW's would be top of my shopping list.

If the delos turns out to be as good as the Pentax XW and about the same price (XW's around £255?) then I would get a Delos because it matches my other televues. I was a bit reluctant to sell my 5mm BGO as it was black and green and matched the others nicely.

Televue aren't necessarily out to improve anything. If it's as good and about the same price as an XW then they will take some of the XW market share.

I have to say that I was perfectly happy with my Meade 4000's until I bought a nagler and radian. I tend to only use the TV's now. I'm looking to add a 16mm nag, 24mm panoptic and was going to get a 6mm radian but may try out the new 6mm Delos.

A 16 Nag & 24 Pan would be pointless Bish as the FOV are only of a .2' difference which isn't that noticeable. Your money would be better spent on a single middle of the road 17T4.

Regards the Delos debate. I personally would have rather had the option of a Nagler in the 6mm focal length. After all you have the 6mm 100' Ethos so why would you want to make an as sharp as an Ethos 72' Delos ep :eek::) OK you get better ER but shorter FOV's don't tend to need it so much anyway. If your gona make better ER do it in the Ethos where your gona appretiate the 100' FOV more.

A 16 Nag & 24 Pan would be pointless Bish as the FOV are only of a .2' difference which isn't that noticeable. Your money would be better spent on a single middle of the road 17T4.

Regards the Delos debate. I personally would have rather had the option of a Nagler in the 6mm focal length. After all you have the 6mm 100' Ethos so why would you want to make an as sharp as an Ethos 72' Delos ep :eek::) OK you get better ER but shorter FOV's don't tend to need it so much anyway. If your gona make better ER do it in the Ethos where your gona appretiate the 100' FOV more.

Thanks for the advice on the 16/24 eps. Hadn't really thought of the 17 instead - and it will save me a load of money.

Ok, I have just read this interesting thread from start to finish and wish i hadn't bothered. All i have gone and done is given myself an inferiority complex about my eyepiece collection :eek:

Damo

I wouldn't worry about that man. Hyperions and orthos are still good eyepieces, all the different types have their good and bad points. It's only when you start paying serious money that you see a majority of these good points come together.

Besides, you probably have a scope or two for a while. We all need something to keep looking out for on the for sale ads :) eyepieces are it.

I wouldn't worry about that man. Hyperions and orthos are still good eyepieces, all the different types have their good and bad points. It's only when you start paying serious money that you see a majority of these good points come together.

Besides, you probably have a scope or two for a while. We all need something to keep looking out for on the for sale ads :) eyepieces are it.

Agreed. This hobby can quickly turn into an obsession. Seriously though, i am happy with the Hyperian's. The dob is not overly fast at f6 and they work really well with it. The Baader ortho's are the sharpest eyepiece i have ever looked through.

Damo

Ok, I have just read this interesting thread from start to finish and wish i hadn't bothered. All i have gone and done is given myself about my eyepiece collection :)

Damo

Think you should sell the 6 & 7 BGO's to me :eek: Just to help the "on the BGO firm" part of the thread of course :):D

"P" poor eye relief they might have but amazingly sharp views they give plus the short FOV makes no difference when viewing planets. I love my Hyperion so I don't see why you should have an inferiority complex.

SPACEBOY

Think you should sell the 6 & 7 BGO's to me :eek: Just to help the "on the BGO firm" part of the thread of course :):D

"P" poor eye relief they might have but amazingly sharp views they give plus the short FOV makes no difference when viewing planets. I love my Hyperion so I don't see why you should have an inferiority complex.

SPACEBOY

The eye relief and fov is small on the orthos but agree that the views more than make up for it. They are an aquired taste i think but after using various Plossls and TMB's i have settled on these as my planetary ep's. Anything else i have looked through hasn't even came close. I find the Hyperions very good with both my scopes but have to say when i seen your ''finished'' collection i went more than a little green! It's a fantastic selection of the best money can buy. You are set for life Spaceboy.

Clear Skies

:)

Ok, I have just read this interesting thread from start to finish and wish i hadn't bothered. All i have gone and done is given myself an inferiority complex about my eyepiece collection :)

Damo

well maybe but I am sure you will get yourself a few more in time, besides which, who has a Tal? now I feel inferior :)

also would like to get hold of a 12.5mm BGO, yes... it will keep that part running on this thread just as spaceboy wants :eek:

Yeah I am considering selling my Televue 8mm plossl and TMB planetary II 6mm to buy some baader orthos.

Does anyone think it's a good idea?

Hi Adam. I cannot comment on the Televue plossl as i have never used one but i can tell you that the 6mm Baader ortho is a stunning ep. I replaced my 6mm TMB with it after comparing the two over a couple of nights on Saturn. The ortho is noticeably sharper and the image much more neutral. The TMB Planetary is a very good ep but if its the finer detail you seek the ortho wins hands down. Of course the eye relief and fov is tight but i got used to it pretty quickly.

Damo

I am about to flog my Hyperions 3.5-21mm because I have some new babies on the way. TeleVue babies. Big bouncing TeleVue babies :D

While I missed the NEAF 20% Televue Sale I was very lucky to come across a thread over on CN discussing a Vendor that still had the sale prices in effect. On top of that someone posted a working 11% off coupon. I did some calculations and was amazed how much the saving was on the full dollar price. Then I did the currency conversion and realised that the dollar/euro exchange rate was back at a nice $1.45/€1.00. Even taking into account 4% Irish Customs duty and 21% Vat, the savings over european pricing was massive. Luckily for me 3 out of 4 packages from the states always seem to escape Customs for me. (Always use USPS). Saved 300 euros on a servocat 18 months ago because I wasn't hit for customs.

Anyway, there is a very real possibility that a particular set of EP's that priced on Teleskop Service cost €4500, will arrive on my doorstep mid May for a grand total of €2200

How could I pass up such an opportunity?? :) I was going to say unique opportunity but its not that unique. I was able to pick up a brand new 16" Lightbridge from TelescopeHouse in the UK back in Dec '08 when a similar confluence of Manufacturer discount, retailer discount and Euro/GBP parity for that brief period of time at the outset of the credit crunch. For €1100. The european price back then was €2400 and even now is still around the 2 grand mark. Another Irish guy who took advantage of the deal at the time is selling his used 2.5 year Old LB16 for the bargain price of about 1400 euros. ie. for a 300 euro profit! LOL :D

So what did I order if its not already obvious? :D

3.7mm sx , 6mm , 8mm , 10mm , 13mm , 17mm , 21mm Ethos and a 31mm Nagler

:D

To say that I am excited is an understatement. May19 is going to be like December the 25th for me. The next 2 or 3 weeks is going to be torture!!

Another thing I realised is that even at ordinary pricing TV EP's are usually a good investment that depreciate slowly. How good of an investment are they when one considers that at the price I got them for, I'll probably be able to sell for a profit for the next 5 years or more :D

Come....On...You....Boys in Green...Come on you boys in Green.....

(that works on several levels :D )

Okay Kef cheers, care to explain a little more?

The views I get with it are great and the contrast and sharpness top notch, but are orthos better?

Look at my eyepiece collection and the company it keeps and that might help explain.

Seriously though the best views of jupiter are through the lovely 8mm!! For what its worth it is definitely worth keeping as are all the TV plossls. :D

Just to add it's also quite nice that they compliment the BGO's focal lengths making for a deadly planetary combination at a great price!

Best views of jupiter? Yes probably me too! But with my 200mm dob I always feel I am a couple of notices too far out of magnification. I guess thats why you have your zooms and pentaxes, unfortunately I cannot afford that kind of thing unless I get rid of some others.

The 8mm and 32mm plossl are blumming brilliant and although I have the 24mm panoptic I am finding it hard to consider selling the 32 :D

Archived