Hi from Tom

motman

Just joined the Lounge, currently located in Ashford in deepest Kent to the Auvergne in the middle of France, next to the Chain of Puys (volcanoes) in the New Year - wonderful skies - forgot how much light the Milky Way can give out.

Used to be a keen astronomer when a wee boy but had to give it up (usual reasons - college, uni, kids, divorce, mortgage, light pollution). Now these things are more or less behind me I have dusted off my ancient Charles Frank (a long gone Glasgow-based telescope outlet) 4 inch reflector and bought a Nexstar 6SE and a NexImage ccd camera. Browsing through the site I have taken the online advice and invested in a PowerTank 7Ah. So I'm looking to forward to regressing back to my wee boy days but now with the capabilties of technology not available to amateurs in the 60s and 70s.

I have a question which your search engine cannot solve - The PowerTank has been on initial charge for 24h now, but the green charging light is still lit. Should I have any cause for concern?

regards to all out there

Tom

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the lounge Tom.

You may get a quicker response from the techies to your question if you post it in the equipment section.

Can you post a pic of your scope? I remember Charles Frank producing some nice equipment.

Kev

Hi Tom and welcome to the group :o

I have the 17Ah Powertank which has an initial charge time of 16hrs - I'd say yours is probably ok now. They come with a half charge or so and the unit is a trickle charger used just for topping up. Make sure you keep it well topped up after each session - if it drains completely you'll need a deep cycle charger to bring it back - even then it may be dead forever. If I'm outside for 4hrs - I'll put it on for 6hrs to top up - seems to work for me :)

Archived