Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ANY HELP - SKYWATCHER 130p

jean-luc

I am totally new to astronomy and I have just purchased a skywatcher130p synscan from first light optics, who I have to say have been very helpful!!!

I would very much appreciate any help or advice any members have for me.

Since my purchase only a week ago I have only had about an hour of clear skys. I managed to see the moon through all magnifications which was very impressive and very clear!

I also observed Jupiter through all magnifications the moons were very clear; however the detail on Jupiter itself was very hazy to say the least and in fact I'm not sure if some of it wasn't down to more of my imagination!

I have purchased baader solar film from first light optics and as usual Martin was very helpfull in his advice to me.

I cannot wait to see my fist observations of the sun!!!

I intend to use the cap that is on the 130p which has a cap that comes off by which I should be able to attach the solar film.

Anyway any advice from any 130p owners on any of the above would be much appreciated

Hi and welcome, i also have a 130P but on a EQ mount, how do you find the synscan? been looking to upgrade my mount to this but at £180 still thinking Ep's will come first, and my views of Jupitar are the same but i have the EP's that came with the scope so hoping better ones will help.

Hi there,

I also started out with a 130P, and it's a fine scope. With regard to Jupiter, what you'll find is that with practice of observing you'll get better at seeing fine detail. I remember, just like you, seeing only a hint of one dark band when I first ever saw that planet, but after a short time I found my eyes able to pick out more and more detail.

Welcome to SGL!

my first scope was a 130p autotrak, very capable scopes, 10mm eyepiece that comes with it isn`t the best, 25mm o.k. when looking at the sun remember to cover your finder, the little lens gets hot !

also it`s hard to slew to it i find as you can`t target using the finder as the sun`s bright and too dangerous to look stright at so be carefull there,

Jupiter might be better to look at if you use a filter, it is very bright at the moment, also use a barlow for bigger views on planets. M42 ORION NEBULA, was the first thing i looked at through this scope and it`s an amazing sight so look out for that

Welcome from me as well.

When you come to do some solar observing the easiest and safest way to align the scope is keep moving it until you obtain the smallest shaddow produced by the OTA. You will then not be too far off aligned with the sun.

It is not even advised to try and look along the OTA when aligning.

A big hello and thanks to everyone that replied to my thread, the response from you all on sgl is quite stunning and heart warming!

Well a couple of updates.

Im sure you are all aware the skys have been rubbish for star gazing! (sorry i know its all my fauly for buying the scope!!!)

I did manage to get out the other day and YES! jupiters detail is becoming clearer, well i have managed to see bands on the panet. Well i think considering i payed £240 for the scope from flo with synscan is pretty impressive!!!!!!

The solar observation kind of scares me a little!

I fully taped the end cap to my scope and removed my finder scope i checked double checked and tripple checked my baader soar film and secured it to my scopes cap underneath the detatchable cap.

And took my fist look at our nearest star, well i must say i was pretty impressed! Very clear well defined sunspots!!!

I didnt view them for long, even with all the precautions i took it was still in the back of my mind could there be a microscopic pinhole that i wasnt able to see???

I am kindof hoping that someone on here will be able to put my mind to rest!!!

Well i have probably gone on for far too long!!!

Thanks again to everyone who said hello.

Hello and thanks back to you all!

yea the synscan.... im still havent really had chance to give it a full test yet. ou are supposed to align wit two stars however..... im lazy and i didnt know where the hell the stars were!

However i did know where (the very scarry!) jupiter was!

so i kind offorced the mount on to jupiter after asking the scope to find it and everything seemed to line up pretty good from there. It then found the moon and i went on to find the double cluster and andromider galaxy which i have to say just appeared as a fuzz through the scope on that night.

It dose look pretty good though i mean i think it has over 40,000 objects in its data base and it uses as far as i have come to understand all the major catalouges

ie messier and is it ncg..... well you know the one i mean.

The reason i went for this scope and i could be wrong here is it was the largest scope i could get on this scale of mount without jumping to the next mounts which seem to be a whole lot bigger and alot more expensive ( yes i am a tight *** yorkshireman!!!)

Archived