NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello everyone

major tom

Hello everybody. How are you all, thought I'd introduce myself before I start bombarding everyone with questions. Relatively new to astronomy. Have been a bit of an addict since university thanks to my old flat mate who was reading astrophysics. I have a skywatcher 200 that pretty much goes everywhere with me. I want to get into astro photography, but am a little hesitant to go bowling in. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Major Tom and welcome to the forum.

I can confess I'm not an imager and the reason is because in order to get really good pictures, you've got to invest in decent kit. Sure you can take snaps or video and obtain reasonable images but you get what you pay for. I for one appreciate the time and patience of those who collect the data and then process it and I really enjoy picture of the week but I would certainly do some reading up with books like "Every Photon Counts" which I gather provide an excellent overview of how it all works and ultimately help you calculate how much it will all cost.

Clear skies

James

Hi Tom and welcome to SGL :icon_salut:

You can start quite cheaply with a webcam. Webcams can be used on planets and the moon as they are. You can modify them to do longer exposures for deep sky objects too. If you feel cut out for it then you may decide to go with dslr photography later and/or ccd. But at least you don't need a massive expenditure to start with.

Meade and Celestron do nice starter imaging webcams around £130. And "Astronomiser" do modifications - check their website for prices and have a good read of their imaging advice section.

The book recommended above is a firm favourite - I plan on getting it myself.

Hope that helps.

Cheers James, will look into getting a copy of that book. Have just ordered The Backyard Astronomer's Guide, I have been informed it's a must.

Hi and welcome, i just got "Turn left at orion" from Amazon, another good book and sooo easy to understand i think a must to all us newbies

Ground control to major Tom...welcome to SGL ... clear skies to you, from me in Sheffield.

Patrick I'm from around this area, at the moment I travel over to the lakes or up to the dales at the weekends for a good dark spot, do you know anywhere closer to home?

Archived