NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PixInsight M33...

ollypenrice

Okay, I left off steam about the lack of documentation with PixInsight but I used two of its tools in conjunction with Ps to completely rebuild this 2 panel M33 mosaic. I'm impressed!

Mosaics are highly prone to colour gradients and visible edges which defeat Gradient Xterminator. The Dynamic Background Extraction tool (duly explained in Harry Page's video) very nearly did for all the problems at a stroke... and they were severe. Finishing off was easy. This meant that the rest of the processing was about four times as easy and quick as last time and has allowed me to avoid any clipping. I just never seemed to manage this last time because of the endless work I had to do on the background.

I also tried the wavelet sharpening and found it a little better than USM in Ps but M33 doesn't have much to sharpen. However, another plus for PI.

It will be a long time beofore I learn to do everything in PI but since I love mosaics the DBE tool alone will see me part with 200 euros. Dammit. I will apply it, probably, to the unstretched panels before combining them in Registar. Anyway here's the Pinwheel. Atik 4000 mono, TEC 140 Apo.

It's dedicated to Harry Page if he'd care to accept it!.

Olly

1016601171_mSYWy-X2.jpg

Olly

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Look at the excellent way the arms fade into the background with out any clipping :p

I always say about pixinsight if there is a tool worth learning well it is DBE , as if gradient an illumination errors are removed you can extract the best from your hard won data , which probably cost you thousands to collect ( makes 200 euros a bargain ).

I am really only a PI advocate as I truly believe it can help people to get the best from their images , even though it has faults ( yes I know not enough docs )

So can I look forward to seeing you on the PI forum :D

Regards Harry

p.s. thanks for dedication which I graciously accept :)

Yes another one hooked ;)

wow that is a stunning image could you get that kind of detail with a dlsr do you think

Hey, I fork out nearly six grand :) for a couple of Atik 4000s and you ask me that??? ;)

My answer is going to be NO!! No No nononononono NO!!!! Thrice NO.

But (more seriously) ask someone with a DSLR and 'the knowledge' and the answer might be Yes. I'm always ready to be humiliated!

You need to see the pictures, up close, full size, on a big hi-res screen. I know nothing at all about DSLR imaging but I would say that under pressure CCD wins, but not on a budget.

Don't forget that this was taken through what is perhaps the best 5.5 inch refractor in the world.

Olly

Of course it's possible - maybe not at the same quality as an Atik 4000 though, I too would expect that type or better quality of an image with that amount of money spent..

But the average Joe does not have that type of Money though, No offence to Mr. Penrice or any other hardcore ccd imager - some of these images remind me of those DSO images which use to appear in magazines as ccd imaging was mean't only in reach of the pro's. Not to say they should be in a category of their own, It's quite nice to see images of this quality especially it gives some indication what or how much data can be captured with a DSLR... Just some thoughts..

Nadeem.

i.am sorry but i know nothing about ccd and how much they are sorry, i know that you can pick some ccd for about the same price as dslr but probally not as good quality as the one you are using by far. anyway sorry to offend you by asking that question

Oh Gosh, no offence! I was only joking. I think I should apologize if that wasn't clear.

I'm in a slightly different position since my gear is not just there for my own use.

In terms of cost, a modded DSLR and a less expensive CCD overlap. What anyone has to do is weigh up whether, for them, the smaller chip of a lower cost CCD offers more (or less) than the very large chip of a DSLR. A DSLR sized CCD chip really does come in at the deep end, around 4 grand with filters.

In the end it's the objects themselves that inspire us. It would be terrible to end up thinking it was all about the kit. It isn't, it's about the great stuff just above our heads. I think Nadeem hits the subject smack on the head. We all have Messers Gendler, Teuwen, Croman, Misti, Hager etc etc to tantalize us with what can be done...

Olly

Lovely Olly, very natural looking.

PI just has a new tool released called Linear Fit or something, which will make your mosaics all the more special. Apparently :)

It is these regular updates with new or improved tools that I appreciate, even if it takes some time to figure them out.

The deconvulve tool is amazing too, but you will lose several hours of your life trying to figure it out ;)

Tim

Lovely Olly, very natural looking.

PI just has a new tool released called Linear Fit or something, which will make your mosaics all the more special. Apparently :)

It is these regular updates with new or improved tools that I appreciate, even if it takes some time to figure them out.

The deconvulve tool is amazing too, but you will lose several hours of your life trying to figure it out ;)

Tim

Oh no, not more hours!!

Olly

Olly,

That's a great image!

Will you be up to speed in a month??!!?? I'm happy to do some homework prep!

Helen

Me, up to speed? Never very likely! However, I can recommend that you have a play with the trial version because two heads are better than one, especially when one of them's mine...

Olly

Archived