Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Am I really seeing this??

johnkirkpatrick

Am out with my 8" dob glued to Jupiter as for the first time I think am seeing the transit of on of its moons and I think I can see the GRS right next to it? Can someone confirm that this for me please. And if so WOW. I first noticed it with my 15mm TV Plossl so I up'd it to the 6mm TMB at x200 and quality dropped but still visable so I went to silly mag at x400 and detail was way out, so I stuck at x200 and sat for an hour watching the black dot slowly move across the gas giant. And did I also slightly make out the banding that has been gone for the last wee while? cant remember if it was the SEB or NEB lol

Am out with my 8" dob glued to Jupiter as for the first time I think am seeing the transit of on of its moons and I think I can see the GRS right next to it? Can someone confirm that this for me please. And if so WOW. I first noticed it with my 15mm TV Plossl so I up'd it to the 6mm TMB at x200 and quality dropped but still visable so I went to silly mag at x400 and detail was way out, so I stuck at x200 and sat for an hour watching the black dot slowly move across the gas giant. And did I also slightly make out the banding that has been gone for the last wee while? cant remember if it was the SEB or NEB lol

I'm looking through quite thick cloud but yep, the GRS is there now, about a third of the way in from the moon which was just like a small pimple on the side of J.

I've just see it too. Magnificent eh !

I think I saw Uranus too but it stayed very small even with a 6mm so not 100%. lp here is terrible and although it's supposed to be a naked eye object I struggled to find it with binoculars.

I had a look for andromeda too but no luck.

It's getting cold isn't it!

Hi John

Congratulation on you New scope I would have loved to be there when you looked though it the first time, never mind

Jupiter is looking fantastic, tomorrow night is Moon night what a great time to have a new scope

All the best, clear skies

Doug

Essex

I've had my 8" dob for a week enjoying a few sights and doing a lot of reading here and around but tonight Jupiter was amazing so I had to post! Just like you, I saw the moon in transit and above it the spot in salmon pink... Awesome. I'd seen a transit before but tonight was the first time I'd seen the spot. I found Uranus afterwards to make it a memorable night.

Adrian

Uranus is easy at the minute. if you use an eyepiece with more and 1 degree field then you'll fit both Jupiter and Uranus in the same view. in the 127 Mak I think this would be a 24mm eyepiece with a 65 degree FOV?

in a reflector Jupiter is above and to the right of Uranus. Uranus is a small but definite greenish disk but no real detail

Yep - I watched the end of the shadow transit with my 4" refractor and the GRS was not far behind !.

Nice sight until clouds spoiled the view !.

Uranus does not look much in the 4" but showed a respectable disk last night at 240x with my 6" mak-newt.

Thanks it gave me that feel good moment and couldn't stop smiling lol, shame i didn't spot Uranus that would of been something I had my 20mm swa on Jupiter for a while so I was prob looking right at it but was so taking in by everything I never noticed.

@Doug yep think the moon will be tonight's target mate will it take x400? tried that before i came in last night but the view was shimmery so again x200 was better and x160 was lovely and sharp.

Also seen andromeda for the second time and didn't reallt get any sort of structure infact it was only a bit brighter than my 5"..

Archived