SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Useful Lunar 100 List

Moonshane

Shane I am really grateful for this. I am not the best lunar observer and the original lunar 100 chart that I had was not the best.

This pdf is just what I needed especially when DSOs are not viewable because the Moon is too bright.

I have save this file and will print it out later. Its looks clear for tonight so perhaps the 7/8 day old Moon should be observed!!

Regards

Mark

no worries. seeing on the low moon was rubbish last night. I found some of the choices for day 15-18 a bit weird unless I was looking at it the wrong way round :icon_eek:

:) I admit it........I was looking at the date not the phase! We are tonight on a 10 day old moon I think ? :)

• 3 months later...

OK, REALLY stupid question - you can claim each of the lunar 100 when you have positively identified it, I guess. Does it matter if you were looking directly at it or if it's in an image you have taken? Sorry if this is a daft thing to ask and I guess it's largely subjective but I don't know what the rules / etiquette are here...

it's a very personal thing I suppose. I suspect the intention was to visually observe them (the east valley pdf refers to seeing objects on the list).

That said, it's a list you are doing for you and if you go through it photographing the targets then that's your call.

Personally, I'd not be happy to e.g. take a pic of the moon and then find the Lunar 100 objects on the photo by searching through the features on the pic when I didn't see them at the time.

If you search out a target and then photograph it that's a different thing but you can do it how you like - there's no real rules as far as I'm aware. This is one of the good things about Astronomy - no rules apart from be nice to people and use a red light!

Archived