NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Happy Birthday John Dobson....

Starblazer

John Lowry Dobson (born September 14, 1915) is a popularizer of amateur astronomy. He is most notable for being the promoter of a design for large, portable, low-cost Newtonian reflecting telescopes that bears his name, the Dobsonian telescope.[1] The design is considered revolutionary since it allowed amateur astronomers to build extremely large telescopes.[2] He is less known for his efforts to promote awareness of astronomy (and his unorthodox views of cosmology) through public lectures including his performances of "sidewalk astronomy." John Dobson is also the co-founder of the amateur astronomical group, the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers.

John Dobson (amateur astronomer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When we (the Astronomical Society of Victoria) invited John out to Australia in the 1980's I had the great (and humbling) pleasure of having him stay over up the the farm.

A perfect gentleman in all sense of the word.

God bless you John!

Ken

I too, had the pleasure of meeting John on a couple of occasions. The first was in 1989 when I was installing a camera obscura on Telegraph Hill, San Francisco, my client phoned John and arranged for him to come over for lunch, magic. I later went out observing with members of the Sidewalk Astronomers, contrary to what one may think after reading about all the wonderfull equipment Americans have in S&T, they mostly had lower end and homemade equipment including of course Dobsonians. The second occasion was when John visited the UK, he spent a day with us at the Astronomy Centre (courtesy of the Liverpool AS) and had dinner with us at our farm. One of the memories which sticks was John's almost addiction to salt which might explain his good preservation! I hope we will be able to congratulate him on his 100th in due course.

Happiest of birthdays John

Likewise and what a debt we owe him. He is also one of the most youthful old men on the planet. He does indeed know something...

Olly

It's this astro-malarky. I am sure it is the secret to long life.

Happy birthday Mr Dobson, and thank you for this elegant invention. :)

Archived