Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from sunny Forest Hill

Ludd

Hi, signing in here for the first time after years of occasional visits to pick up handy hints from you lot.

I'm based in South East London, light pollution capital of the country it seems. I was into astronomy as a kid and then dropped it, taking it up again as I approached 40 a few years back. I now have a Nexstar 8SE which is great for planet watching and for picking out some of the brighter DSOs. I've also used it on a Vixen GP mount and have used it to photograph the ISS. I also have a little 70mm ED scope which I've already taken to Australian and NZ skies.

Paul

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome folks. I've been picking up useful info from this forum for a while but it's nice to have got round (at last) to being able to join in with the banter. I fear it may lead to more spending though: I've already ordered a back-up webcam after reading about the Philips 880!

Wow Bodkin, are you running a 20" dob in Brockley? I guess that's a good way to deal with light pollution: just make the faint fuzzies turn into bright fuzzies! Or is the scope at a secret dark sky location?

I know there are astronomers down in the Bromley area but I've not encountered any closer in. I usually get raised eyebrows when I reveal I observe from a back garden in SE23.

Wow Bodkin, are you running a 20" dob in Brockley? I guess that's a good way to deal with light pollution: just make the faint fuzzies turn into bright fuzzies! Or is the scope at a secret dark sky location?

I know there are astronomers down in the Bromley area but I've not encountered any closer in. I usually get raised eyebrows when I reveal I observe from a back garden in SE23.

I am afraid the 20 inch is in pieces having been transported recently from our former place in France. It is waiting relocation to mid Wales. The Brockley observing is done with a 6 inch Mak Newt. I can't wait to see the Milky Way again though.