Messier Objects List

Hello All.

Does anyone here have a particular website or book that they would recommend to a beginner for finding and veiwing the Messier objects?

I have seen a few websites but I am looking for one that is a bit easier to follow. I was hoping for a list which points out the best time of year to see each individual object and maybe has a star map which clearly points out where to look. A printable version would be good too!

I can look for myself online but was just hoping that maybe there are one or two sites or books which are particuarly good?

Thaks for any help:)

There is an ever growing popular book, Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders, paperback of some 517 pages available from Amazon for about £16 post free, covers everything you probably ever want to see and more, including how to find it with 5 Deg finder circles. If you want an in depth book on the Messier objects alone, the book by Ronald Stoyan The Atlas of The Messier Objects , beautiful large colour photos, I believe it was reviewed by Sir PM as the best book on the subject he has read, but it is big and expensive, not the sort of thing you read in bed.

John.

You may find 'TUMOL' useful, also helps keep a record of your observations;

Astronomy software

"TUMOL

The Ultimate Messier Object Log (TUMOL) is a database that contains relevant information for all 110 Messier objects. It contains various layouts to assist amateur astronomers in documenting their search for deep sky objects."

Interesting list on The Astronomical League.

Messier Club List | The Astronomical League

The Messiers are numbered on the right hand side, the more normal left hand number being the NGC reference.

Reason posted is that it groups the Messiers by season/time of year. Meaning that you can look which are prominent at present.

Could probably copy it, convert it to a table/spreadsheet and reorder each individual seasons offering by whatever.

However in the present list as the season matches the constellation it also means that you can easily work through all the Messiers in a particular constellation, then move on.

The list is a little "basic" but it's free.:D

I have to agree with this comment, the book is excellent. The pictures were a big help for me to confirm that I really was looking at the correct object.

I'd very much recommend O'Meara's book on the Messier objects, manages to be both very comprehensive and highly readable

Archived