New to astronomy help would be appreciated.

Di Vita

Hello,

I am just getting stared into star gazing and astronomy. At the moment I'm doing my research, and also looking at a well equipped telescope that will serve my needs as well as one that has quality and durability. I already have an idea in the one I want. It’s the Mede LX200.Although not sure on the size yet. I'm thinking the 10". If I am going to get into this I might as well do it properly.

I would appreciate any help, in aiding me to further develop my interest and understanding in the Universe/Galaxy, stars and planets that most know little about. (That’s me at the moment.:o)

I would be very interested in going out on a 'gazing' trip/excursion, to get a hands on experience, in both understand what I am looking at when I look up above me at night, and an understanding on using a telescope.

I am also doing some research on the net to look for any groups of people around the Hertfordshire/London that are also interested in star gazing and astronomy, who go out to location to put into practice the hobbies or interested in this area.

If there is anyone in the Hertfordshire/London area that could assist me or tell me where to look or go to find this. or anyone who could tell me any sites in Hertfordshire/London I would be extremely grateful.

Best Wishes and happy gazing.

Di Vita

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, and welcome to the SGL forum.

Perhaps you could check in your local Library, as to whether there is an Astronomical Society you could join. You could gain alot of experience there.

Plenty of help available to you on SGL too. ny questions you have, will soon be answered here.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Hi Di Vita,

A very warm welcome to SGL, I see you already have your mind on some quite expensive equipment in the form of the Meade LX 200 range, to start looking Heaven wards you could do no better than purchase a pair of Bino`s 7x50 or 10x50, download the free program Stellarium to help you find your way around the night sky at your location, contact with a local society, books from your local library and the forum will all help to guide you on your way. Hope you enjoy our company.

John.

Da Vita,

Welcome to the forum. I would try and go to a star party or astronomy society meeting and get a look through some scopes before buying. Have a think about what you want to use the scope for, planetary or widefield use and whether imaging interests you. The equipment choices for each can be very different. Most of all, don't rush in and ask plenty of questions here.

all the best

photonboy

Welcome to Stargazers.

You're doing the right thing researching around here as a starting point. I wouldn't rush into buying expensive equipment (unless you have money to burn.) A telescope is not necessary for getting started.

Forget the library too - that was an old 20th century phenomena which is a poor resource nowadays. The Internet has a million times more information, more convenient, more up to date and completely free.

Download Stellarium to play with and learn the skies a little while you continue to read. Seek out and visit local Astronomers and their societies - they will bend over backwards to show you their stuff - oooerr, missus! :-)

Best,

Steve

Hi Di Vita,

Welcome from Sunny Donny (well cloudy actually - and dark atm).

Like you, I am a newbie to this hobby but I'm planning to start at the other end of the spectrum with a couple of pairs of binos.

REB

Hello Di Vita and welcome to the fascinating world of Astronomy. You mentioned about going on a trip. It occured to me that the Kelling Heath Star party is this weekend, there are probably no more places left to camp, but if you could get in as a day visitor or something, you might be able to go around and chat to all the Astronomers there and get a look through lots of telescopes all at the same time. You will also get a good look at the skies which are very dark at Kelling.

Learning the night sky takes time, but I suggest get yourself a planisphere for the Northern hemisphere (£10 or less).

Other than the suggestions others have made above (i.e. try to find a local group), if you want to learn a lot more about Astronomy you could do the GCSE Astronomy course which should be about to start this month.

I am not sure which centre would be around your way (I did it at Greenwich), but google it and see. I think you can also do it on-line. Hope this helps.

Carole

Archived