Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new scope!!

Chuffed!! :) :). The EQ3 is holding its own quite well, vibration damp down is around 3 seconds!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Collimation is just slightly out (thats because a removed the corrector to discard a dead spider :?)... the moon was fantastic!

Rob

:)

:) all you people with your fancy new scopes and here's me in windy cloudy cold Aberdeen with a sub £100 Tasco.

Nah, can't complain. I can't even handle the thing, and it's given me a fantastic time so far.

Still want an upgrade soon.

AstroPhethean

Thanks guys!... just have to fine collimate it now. The new finder turned up today for David Hinds (thanks for help Adam :))

There is a very fine judder movement when touching the secondary support, it does not turn as such... just moves a tiny bit from side to side when handled. I have tightend the bobs knobs, but its still there... I don't think its going to hurt as you have to use your finger & thumb to grip the outer casing to make it move?

Rob

There is a very fine judder movement when touching the secondary support, it does not turn as such... just moves a tiny bit from side to side when handled. I have tightend the bobs knobs, but its still there... I don't think its going to hurt as you have to use your finger & thumb to grip the outer casing to make it move?

Ahh the bluetack i used to bodge the corrector in place must have dislodged. Nevermind at least it held long enough to fool Gordon :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Russ

Its not the corrector, that I'm sure of. the movement at best is about 2 mill if you grip the corrector outer pastic and turn it.... not much, but its not rock solid.

Rob, it's probably best you have a chat with Adam. It certainly didn't budge while i had it. And it does sound like you trying quite hard to move it. So it shouldn't budge under normal use.

Russ

Ahh the bluetack i used to bodge the corrector in place must have dislodged. Nevermind at least it held long enough to fool Gordon :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Russ

LOL, the bluetack fell out and i glued the corrector back on with pritstick :):):D

All is good!!. tightend the bobs knobs and collimated... the scope is fine!!. It might have been the outer plastic housing. Or maybe how the secondary meets the outer plastic housing... anyhow it has no effect, collimated the scope and have only just got back in (9.30pm) after starting the observing session @ 7.15pm.

WOW what a scope!... its cool.

Rob, I had a problem with my secondary mirror housing on my NS8 GPS. Might be different to yours cos mine's designed for fastar. it has a retaining ring which is unscrewed and the secondary can be lifted out. Unfortunately the retaining ring had never been undone and was very stiff. As a result unscrewing it damaged the seal on the secondary which had perished over time. After this there was some play. Not really a problem so long as the secondary can't rotate. If the secondary rotates obviously your collimation will be stuffed. It was a problem for me using fastar so David Hinds sorted it out for £130.

It really pays to get a spot on collimation for high powers with the SCT. At least X600 mg with good seeing,

I managed (and it seems mastered) the collimation in min's.

The moon was knock out!!... details were way past what I'd seen before. The movement on the secondary is nothing TBH.. it certainly does not move with out touching it (i.e griping and trying to rotate / rock it!. I only noticed this because I removed the corrector to clear a dead spider on the main mirror!.

Rob

Archived