Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

transporting a scope without a car

rowan46

My backyard is terrible for stargazing chronic light pollution to the east, trees to the north and west, house to the south cosequently I like to travel to the canal down the road about 1/2 a mile. this means I go about midnight when its quiet. I use a sack trolley to take all my bits down to the towpwath but at midnight it makes a heck of a noise going down the street and at 3or 4am it seems even louder. any suggestions for a quieter trolly? (needs to be able to cope with steps) thanking you in advance

Good idea, xyz... inflated tires would help a lot with the noise, and would also give a more cushioned ride for the kit. I've seen sack trolleys (in the US we call them 'hand trucks') which are specially designed for navigation on stairs. There's some sort of rolling device on the back vertical part of the trolley which helps in 'sliding' it from one step the the next.

thanks again everybody for the help liked the pram idea so got this for my cycle, has suspension and converts to a jogging stroller dark skies here I come

Watch your balance with one of those, I used one for a while carting around little human beings..you get used to it though, but don't swerve too much!! :mad:

I am not entirely sure how one of these will look with me towing a 4 ' 10" OTA...;)

• 9 months later...

Believe it or not, the trolley below has my telescope as well as a tent, sleeping bag, gas cooker, change of clothes, tarpaulin, and various other bits and pieces.

The telescope is a Celestron 127SLT GoTo, so there is a power pack there as well.

Image is crappy because it was taken with my phone at full arms length on a train.

Alan

IMAG0687.jpg

thanks again everybody for the help liked the pram idea so got this for my cycle, has suspension and converts to a jogging stroller dark skies here I come

What's the dimensions of this thing, please? :)

Believe it or not, the trolley below has my telescope as well as a tent, sleeping bag, gas cooker, change of clothes, tarpaulin, and various other bits and pieces.

The telescope is a Celestron 127SLT GoTo, so there is a power pack there as well.

Image is crappy because it was taken with my phone at full arms length on a train.

Alan

IMAG0687.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder one could get one's 12 inch dob in there?

It looks like the dob would have to be in one piece - strapped down with some bungee cords...

I'm just thinking as there is a field opposite me that would get me away from the neighbours' lights.........

Archived