Hello!!

JonM

Hi,

Just saying hello to everyone here at SGL.I've not got a telescope at the moment,although a purchase is imminent. Looking forward to spending time here and asking many questions.

Until the next time then...

Jon M.

:D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jon and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't rush to buy equipment without first doing a bit of research. I don't have any equipment at present but have borrowed different things at different times in order to try them out - does allow you to change your mind as to what you might want to see. See if you can locate local astro clubs to see if they do any observation evenings or if there are any local observing groups (they aren't always connected to the clubs). The nights are slowly starting to draw in so you'll start to see details being advertised. I hope you enjoy the forum, there are some great people here who are eager to help and lots of new people to share your confusion with!!! There is also the search facility at the top of the page which record past topics and their responses.

Clear skies for the future.

James

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have done some digging around,and I'm looking to get a Skywatcher 200 dob. I've had a look through the 300,but can't stretch that far financially,nor could i keep it in my house(I'm limited to where I'm 'allowed' to keep it). From what I've read,the 200 seems to be a popular choice.

Cheers.

Jon M.

Hi Jon,

I don't think you'll go wrong with a 200 Dob. It is big enough to see faint objects and small enough to throw in the back of a car to get to dark sites.

I cut my teeth on Sue French's articles for small scopes in Sky and Telescope magazine. You can now get them in book form, it's called "Celestial Sampler", published by Sky Publications. It makes you focus on and explore one part of the sky at a time.

Good luck,

Bill

Archived