NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Very bright moon last night

richbyers

did no one else see that moon last night- up here it turned night into day almost- i know it was obviously full, but ive never seen it that bright before, perhaps just great conditions (i mean naked eye bright- it was unbearable through the scope!)

also viewed jupiter- only could see 3 moons, checked stellarium and Io was close to jupiter but reflected no light- is this when they are classed as in thier planet's shadow?

rich

I was wondering the same thing last night. How come on some nights when the moon is full, it is not as bright as other nights when it is full. Over the last 2 nights i have been able to read a book outside under the moonlight.

I also thought that maybe it is down to seeing conditions.

It's because I was camping with my family on Anglesey hoping to see the Milky Way for the first time (that I can recall) :D

Never mind, there'll be other times......:)

When you head home shane, dont forget to take the moon with you. Its ruining everything...except for observing the moon...........then its great.

cheers mate

did my best but it was so heavy to tow I had to keep refuelling!

it was really just a short break (not astro related) so I should have checked where the moon was up to really - not seen it at home for about six months (bloomin clouds!).

I was trying to view Andromeda for the first time but couldn't get a good look as the brightness of the moon washed out the details.

However, i still managed to get a decent look at Jupiter.

Hopefully the moon will dim again soon as i really want to view Andromeda properly now that i am confident in finding it.

That photo really does look like it was taken during the day!

My moon filter made it easier on the eye to observe, but it was still quite blinding. Very clear sky but almost white meant that there was no chance of anything more than a teeny fuzzy speck form Andromeda.

Jupiter was nice, I saw some detail and 4 moons. I even, just, managed a glimpse of Uranus, very, very, faint, in the pale sky.

Today we have scattered cumulus, so maybe some good seeing tonight (apart from the moon-wash, that is).

Tuesday night was too painful for me too observe because of the moon. Even though I was using a moon filter it was still painful to look at the moon and because of its glow it was just shockingly hard to make out anything. Almost had trouble making out all of the stars in Cassiopeia, even my viewing of Jupiter was spoilt by the moon. Just couldn't get the resolution past x90 without the image quality suffering.

But I guess I can be thankful though, twas the first time I've seen the moon in a while so I got a quick look at that and also that it was the first viewing session in a while I've had. But things are back on track here, its been nothing but cloud and rain since then!

Archived