Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Don't laugh at my first Jupiter picture

Let me start off by saying it was not my intention to take any pictures just yet. :)

At 01:00 I noticed that the skies over my house were clear, so I rushed back in to get my scope. By 01:30 I was ready to be amazed, this was the first time my scope had ever been used.

To the south east I could see a very bright object in the sky which had an orange tint. I had never seen it there before, so I pointed my scope at it and I was amazed to see what I believe was Jupiter and it's moons (not sure which moons).

Considering this was my very first time using a telescope I was bitten by the astronomy bug and it bit hard. After trying to follow Jupiter through the sky I now think my scope is set up wrong as it was very difficult to follow or is it that I need more practice? The picture you can see was taken with a digital compact camera and I was just holding it to the eye piece. I just wanted to capture my first sighting.

I have a few questions about my first time and the results:

What is the blue and red around the object?

what can I do to improve my viewing?

Is the object Jupiter?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great first shot, well done!

It's hard to get the moons and surface detail in the same picture because the moons are much dimmer that Jupiter. It's kind of an either/or.

To get Jupiter detail, you'll probably need a much shorter exposure.

Keep trying though. If that was my first shot of Jupiter, I'd be well chuffed!

The orange adn blue are refraction from the atmosphere, what scope is it? You wll get your pic a little better if you a) increase magnification a little which will dim it and/or :) use your camera in manual mode if it has one and close up aperture or increase shutter speed a little.

Nice first try... very good for first time using a scope. The image is a little overexposed, the planet is white, but you've got the moons, and that's often the compromise needed to get them.

What scope and eyepiece did you use with the camera ?

No one is laughing here. For a 1st photo, it's not bad at all.

It's definitely Jupiter and you also managed to grab 3 tiny moons. With that set up you'll not be able to get those nice photos you see around here, but don't give up.

Try several shorter exposures. That will freeze the moments of good seeing and eventually you get a nice shoot. If you can adapt a webcam (or buy one already tunned), you're likely to get better results.

Possibly, but I think you will find using your compact pressed against the eyepiece technique (which was what I did for my first jupiter picture) will be limited. If you want to go the photographic route, an adapted webcam will improve your planet pictures greatly in one step for about the same price as a decent e/p, but of course, the e/p could be used for visual work as well.

My 2p ...

I will own up to possessing hundreds of images with poor focus, over/under exposure, strange colours and every other defect you can think of.

I am still striving to get decent images of anything in the sky.

This is an excellent first go at Jupiter.

However, be prepared to the itch that causes you to buy filters, different cameras, a different mount. All to try to get the impossible. An image with Voyager standard detail.

As a first time out with a telescope let alone trying to take a photo, that was excellent work. Yes that's definitely Jupiter, only planets will look like a disc, and this also shows 3 moons in a line so, it's definitely Jupiter. So well done you.

I now think my scope is set up wrong as it was very difficult to follow

Just read through the instructions again and check you did everything correctly. Don't forget we are on daylight Saving.

Alt-Az mounts are a little more tricky to get accurately aligned than mounts which have a polar scope, and you'll probably find some nights you'll get it more accurate than others, I know I did until I bought an Eq Mount.

Carole

Hi Carastro,

I think the scope and mount are set up correctly, it's just when I am outside and trying to set the scope on an object I seem to have problems, guess I need more practice.

I have an EQ2 mount.

Don't you worry, no one will ever laugh at you here.

You've made a very good start, and you will most certainly improve. It just takes a little time. Don't ever feel despondent, it's a learning thing, and you'll do well. I've seen guys like you win Picture of the Week Not long after starting their Imaging career.

Ron.:)

I have an EQ2 mount.

I beg your pardon, I googled your sky watcher explorer 130p and it came up with a different mount.

So do I take it that your mount is not motorised? If so, you'll have a devil of a job trying to keep objects in the eyepiece due to the Earth's rotation. In which case you need a further pat on the back.

Anyway, welcome to amateur Astronomy.

Carole

a webcam would certainly be the path i would take for planet imaging.the image is a good start, identical to what i saw first time i started and i must admit i was quite please with it! after all we are between 893m and 964 m kilometers apart :D

save and it will be nice to see your progress in 12 months :)

Good job! Almost certainly Jupiter! Well done! I've not even seen it yet its been total cloud cover for six weeks now :D

Lovely day today, I was hoping for a great night but no sooner had I grabbed my scope when the clouds rolled in :p

Well that's what happens when you live near the coast!

You wanted to know which moons. I don't know your location but

looking at you pic I can only see 3 moons and maybe a star up and right of Jupiter, I checked back at the times / date on the 8th August at 01:30 GMT and I recon from right to left you have:

Small star maybe HIP968

Ganymede

Europa

Jupiter

Io (very close to the planet, maybe out of sight in your location)

Callisto

I stand corrected on the moons and bow to superior knowledge if somebody has any better ideas :)

Keep it up! Clear skies

Mark

Archived