SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

perseids meteor shower 2010

Hi everyone

I've made the mistake of booking a holiday to ibiza whilst the perseids meteor shower reaches its peak!

Does anyone know of any Astronomy Groups in ibiza that might be watching the shower or know of any star parties that might be taking place.

I have tried google but just get results of DJ tracks and searching for stars - as in the person!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

icon7.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing you need to observe meteors with are your eyes. I was planning to be in the Canaries for the event but my dog has to be vaccinated for kennel cough 14 days before i put her in kennels. So now i am heading off to Lanzarote on the 14 Aug. I will miss the main event but might catch a few late stragglers.

These meteor showers were featured in the last Sky At Night programme on the BBC. I really hope the weather stays clear this year, I always get quite excited but the clouds always come rolling in.

i saw a huge one last night around midnight, i swore it left a trail! probably my eyes though, very bright however, if thats what the perseids are like bring them on i say, next week im going to use my canon 450d on bulb attached to my eq3 to capture some...quick question.... with clock drive or without?

The Perseids start around the 23rd of July and keep going until the 20th August. Rates are low for this period though, only really picking up 4ish nights before until 4ish nights after maximum, which this year occurs on the night of August 12/13.

A bright meteor may leave a ghostly glowing trail after it has passed. The technical name for this is a train - i.e. the fast moving streak is the meteor's trail and a glowing remnant of the trail is known as the meteor's train.

There's another sky at night on tonight if anyone's interested - it's on at 19:30 and more details about it can be found here:

BBC - BBC One Programmes - The Sky at Night, Monster Star

This one should contain more of me and Paul rabbiting on about the Perseids :)

What a lot of people don't realise Paul, is that one of the reasons that this is such a great time to see meteors is that there are loads of other showers going on at the same time too. You've got the Alpha Cygnids, Capricornids, Delta Aquarids, Piscids Australids, Alpha Capricornids, Iota Aquarids and Kappa Cygnids all throwing meteors into the mix as well as the Perseids! Ok, most of these are weak showers but taken together, they certainly up the probability of seeing something during a watch!

Just seen a beauty about 15 mins ago... At about 23:43 there was a moderate short meteor heading SW then seconds after a long beaut with intense train heading NE!!!

They were the only 2 I saw mind you in 30 mins. Talk about buses :p

right now, 22.54 BST, things are just begining to improve. just poped out to check visibility. still quite a bit of broken patchy cloud around but good large areas of clear sky and 2 decent, very fast, meteors through the back end of cygnus one after the other within a couple of mins :p keep your fingers crossed

Archived