SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

perseids meteor shower 2010

So far, this year, I'm impressed.

I'm on a course this week, it's complicated quite hard going and and I'm more tired than I was expecting, so going out is really a no no :p

I've set the camera up to take 3m shots on a static tripod for the next 5 hours.

While I was waiting to make sure that the camera was going to finish the first exposure and start the second - so three minutes of watching and I saw three. Once was pretty good.

So I'm hopeful.

Good luck to those that can go out and watch.

I'm going to bed now with the alarm set for 4am! to pack away.

Ant

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just had a peep outside again,22.50 :oops: , nice clear sky to begin with 1 meteor through delphinus and a lovely bright lingering one through pegasus. then a big wall of blanketing cloud moved in from the NW :p ill have another look later

Saw some real beauties in the last hour. I never knew the correct term for the trail was a train, so the first one I saw tonight definitely had a train! One of the brighter ones was not a Perseid as it was going the wrong way. Had to come in as I was getting a stiff neck! (I still "wow" under my breath every time!)

From my backyard I see around 8 in an hour from 11pm before the clouds rolled in. A few bright ones that left trails and one, just out of view (due to high tree line), which lit up the top of the house! (it was either that or one of my neighbours was using a camera flash)

It was clear in London, saw about 12 between 10.30 and 11.30 - probably quite a few more were missed as the radiant was not far above the roof of some houses. Some were really bright leaving gold or silvery trails. One was a bit 'fireball' like - looked like it was breaking into pieces as it came down. I only wish I wasn't so tired and had to get up for work today. Hoping tonight is clear, not looking good so far though.

Here in Weymouth saw about 25 over an hour of popping in and out and between using the scope and bin's (seems daft to waste a rare clear and warm night just on the Perseids, I know- bonkers)

Saw a couple of trains, mostly just streaked... also saw a couple about 180degrees to the Perseids! I know there's a couple of other showers due but was so quick didn't catch where it came from!

Saw one of the Perseids about 10:20'ish that seemed to "puff" or fragment at the end rather than fade out, might have been my eyes I suppose.... anyone catch that one?

Also saw lots of satelittes in the process, wife kept pointing our "planes" but it was yet more things in orbit, once you get your eye in the sky is full of the damn things!

I was absolutely shattered last night, so I didn't spend too long outside spotting any Perseids. However, in just under an hour I managed to spot at least 6, maybe 7. Not sure about the 7th because I caught something out the corner of my eye, but I wasn't sure if it was my eye's playing tricks on me or not. But still lovely to nonetheless. :-)

Just saw one last night heading south with a long train about 22:20.

Then the thick clouds covered up what gaps there were above Preston.Went to bed, as I looked North from the bedroom window the skies had cleared a bit,but didn`t see any.As I was up early this morning I called it a night.

Hoping for clear skies tonight ,as my daughters want to stay up late to watch,they would be made up just to see one.

The last two days “my” skies were covered in smoke but yesterday a nice wind came and carried it far far away!! Me and my friend saw around 35-40 (together)… so beautiful!! Around 2:56 I saw a big one that shattered at the end (big time, yellow and all). I was so happy!! We looked like children screaming every time we saw one!! (Good thing no one lives around there…)

Cosmic hugs :p

Unusually here in Glasgow, the sky cleared after 10pm so headed out to a local dark sky site. (with around 100+ other people who had obviously been taken in by the media hype). It wasn't so much a shower as a slow stream of meteors, including several very nice fireballs and one absolutely spectacular yellow one which flashed down through Pegasus shortly after mid-night. Anybody else see that? The sky was really transparent too and I did some DSO hopping with my bins. M31 was superb - even in 10x50's I could make out the disk and central core. Good night and it was warm!

i saw a total of only 5, saying that its more than id see on any other night. it was quite cloudy in solihull, started raining about 2.30 so i called it a night. ill be there tonight though

Archived