NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello everyone, i'm new

Timi09

Just to say hello, i'm another "newbie" to astronomy and I am really enjoying it at the moment. I got my first scope about 5 months ago (a Celestron 114EQ) which i've had one or two nice views from even though light pollution is a pain! Through that I have managed to see Jupiter, Mars and Saturn as well as a lot of the moon :eek: (although no Deep sky stuff yet, but I hear summer isn't really the best time) Which has got me hooked on the hobby now!

me and my granddad went out last night and he bought a Meade LX200 10", it took me so long to set it up we only really saw Jupiter for a little bit, but omg how amazing it was!

I'd like to follow my first post with a basic question if that's ok, we got a CCD imager along with the scope and I think i've worked most of it out, but if there's anyone with some experience of this that could give me some beginners advice I would be chuffed! ( for example any help on connecting and focus? because the manual is a little vague on this)

I have a lot more to ask, but that's enough for one post I think! ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which "CCD imager" do you have?

I assume it's a USB connection?

Generally it's just "plug and play".....well almost:(

Focusing can be painful, but with practise it does improve.

yes it's a usb connection, i think i was doing it right then just had trouble focusing, but if like you say, its a pain then i imagine thats why. i didn't get to play long cause it was getting light :eek: (hopefully i'll get another go soon), thanks for your invaluable advice!

Hi Timi, Welcome aboard ;)

You've got yourself a fine starter 'scope there. The Pleiades star cluster [ a.k.a. The Seven Sisters / M(essier) 42] will be a great target for you later on this summer.

And Jupiter will be stunning in your grandfather's LX200 :eek:

Sorry, can't be much help with the imaging, but a good intro is Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards, steppenwolf here on SGL (reviewed here).

It'll guide you through imaging from the start, covering everything from kit to techniques, helping you choose the right equipment and tools, whilst avoiding the expensive mistakes.

And there's loads of skilled imagers on here too, willing to share their tips 'n' tricks.

You can also get the book through FLO, the forum sponsors :icon_eek:

thanks David, that looks really useful and I will definitely look to grab a copy when possible (i'm planning on splashing a little cash when I get my student loan on equipment and stuff so this is on the list now;) )

Thanks a lot for your help mate:)

HI Timi, welcome to the forum.

Some nice scopes you both have there, and as the night's get longer and darker, there will be plenty to see.

If you haven't already got it, download Stellarium, it's free, and very useful for planning and finding things.

Clear skies.

Welcom Timi. We have Making Every Photon Count and I have to say it is an excellent introduction to astrophotography. You can buy a copy from FLO (the forum sponsors). Good luck with the imaging and I look forward to seeing some of them posted here.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on joining the hobby and of finding the planets. Yes light pollution is a pain especially when trying to find DSO's but the winter nights will help bring them out more for you. I'm also pleased you've paired up with an observing buddy (being family is a bonus!) as their is nothing quite like sharing the 'moment' than with other people. I can't help you with imaging (with the 'darkside' as its sometimes known) as I only observe but as already mentioned there are members here who certainly know a thing or two about the subject.

Wishing you clear skies on your next outing and look forward to hearing what you next discover!

James

wow, you will probably get sick of my thanks but you all deserve it, so again Thank You!

haha I didn't realise it was the "dark side" ;), here's a funny fact though im not actually completely interested in imaging myself (theres nothing like seeing things "live" in my opinion), my gramps is however and it falls to me to make up for his technophobia lol! but he supplies the humour for the night so its all good :eek:

Archived