NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light .... At last

Teddy

Ok folks this was only a hour searching in-between clouds but it was a treat. I promised to let u know how I got on.......so

I waited till half twelve or so n went outside. Had to wait half hour to see a patch of clear sky. Had a look around with the finderscope n enjoyed a few stars through the 25mm

Just as I was goin to go in due to to much cloud n lack of target preparation ......., there he was....

What I was waiting all week for ( since I got my scope) Jupiter .

I found it straight away n I was so pleased. I was low in the sky but could see 3 moons clearly n could make out a band( i think ... Went diagonal up left to right)

I played with the eye pieces. Enjoyed the low power for now. I guess being low in the sky suited low power.

Really happy I went out. I will be seeing u again mr jupiter.... When it's better conditions

Very very nice for my first go with a scope on my own !!

Well chuffed.

Teddy

Just getting in bed with a smile

Teddy, i know exactly how you feel! I got my very first scope (celestron nexstar 6se) delivered on wednesday but before tonight id only been able to look at distant trees from my bedroom window due to blacket cloud.

But tonight, i spotted Jupiter in a gap in the clouds walking home from the pub, so rushed in, got out the scope and to say it took my breathe away is an understatement. I too could see the atmospheric bands but i managed to spot all 4 moons as one moved out of behind Jupiter.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as i did! :eek:

I've also just got in from having a good long look at Jupiter and its moons. So glad I decided to stay up for it. The neodymium filter recommended in another thread was definitely a worth while investment in the end (thanks all!) as the band details were immediately obvious.

It's great that the clouds finally cleared and we all got the chance to get some observing in :eek:

Good for you Teddy, worth the wait, looks like you had a better night than me. I got set up was just looking round the area of Vega, when my neighbour decided to light a bonfire at 10;45. Everything rushed in before the lens got damaged with hot ash grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks u guys

Hope those who never had a clear night get one soon. Bonfire ..... U just Can't plan for neighbours can u !!

I thought one of the moons were behind Jupiter . I should have stayed out longer but clouds were rolling in thicker. Anyway that's the next task !!

Will I get better views of the bands as Jupiter gets higher in the sky or do I need a filter. ? I have a fee in the eyepiece set I bought but did not really try them.

Thanks again

Teddy

Congrat's Teddy.

There's nothing like the Buzz of first light with a new scope, it's a fantastic feeling, especially when you get a good result out of it, like Jupiter. Wait until you see Saturns rings and titan, it's an awesome sight!

Simon

Maybe i should have said.......

I have seen saturn at todmorden astro centre through a 16" and it was amazing...

But Jupiter....i was mine for half hour. I used a scope on my own for the first time (my 6" dob) and it was from my back garden and I found it .... so i hope i come across ok , it was just such a proud moment for me and such a great achivement combine with a beautiful view that made it so good. I is a memory for life i really cant imagine forgeting the feeling , sight , sounds and smells of that moment,.

Si W...... where are u from , i live in Irlam (nr eccles)..... whats this Manchester Stargazers all about then ?? it sounds good

Teddy

Hope i get out for a real good viewing tonight,

That's good news Teddy, there's nothing worse than the scope sat there and just clouds everywhere.

Jupiter and Saturn are awesome, just hope you get some better weather, although having seen the forecast, I think the scopes will be inside a bit this week.

Have you got "Turn left at Orion"? That's a good book to go with a Dob, I think a good few people have it.

Thanks baz

Yep I got that book it is what I am going to use to help me locate my targets. Going to get stuck in when the summer fades. Think I will just be patient fog a few weeks. Gonna do the moon n planets till autum I thinks

Is that the best plan ??

Archived