Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When its cloudy what do you do with your telescope?

Nick P

I fiddle and tinker with scopes, mounts and astro bits. Clean, grease stuff, figure out field of views of eyepieces in different scopes, read adverts, reviews and plan world domination etc.

Andy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes spend hours trying to do what are probably not very complicated adaptations to my telescopes and mounts, they just seem complicated to me! As I am not much good with my hands.

The last one was when I spent most of an evening trying to fit a Stellarvue 50mm RACI finder that I just bought to my Skywatcher 150mm PL reflector.

I succeeded in the end, but nearly broke the mirror of the reflector in the process (don't ask!).

I also made a simple spectroscope from a CD and cereal box, to show the sun's light making a rainbow, I got the instructions from the internet. And I messed around with a prism taken from some old binoculars, to do the same thing.

Often it is sunny during the day and cloudy at night!

I also read articles about spectropscopy on the internet, as I find it fascinating, although a challenge to undersand!

This takes up a lot of time, and stops me getting too frustrated by the clouds!

Quote:

Originally Posted by davy999

Were you Jim Bowen in a previous life??

I just read even more threads on SGL, and buy stuff to cheer my scope up, which leads to more clouds ergo more purchases!

You can't beat a bit of Bully!

Then look at Stellarium.. Look at what you could have seen.. Take it away lads !

I look at Stellarium, look out of the kitchen window, get grumpy, then go and get slaughtered playing Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer :eek:

Hey another gamer!

What's your console??

I'm more of a gears of war man, mainly cuz i'm pants at COD

i check the weather forecast and have a look outside, just to be sure.

i set the scope up, give it the once over then i pack it up feeling all cheated.

afterwards i will check the weather forecast (just to be safe) then look out the window (to be safer).

then its up to the PC and delve into an RPG and forget my woes for the evening.

• 1 month later...

I read Astrobaby's guides (write faster! - need more! :D), strip and clean my mucky SCT, collimate my newt, wait for my SPX to arrive, align polar scope, work out better ways to assemble my kit, write setup procedures, make imaging plans, read Steve's book(Making Every Photon Count), go into the garden at night and shout at clouds. Then spend the remainer of my free time here on SGL. :)

Normal stuff really.

Mostly, I come on here and waffle a load of rubbish to you guys! Wahey! But, yes, I too find my self colimating, adjusting the finder, searching for things I don't need online. Actually, bought a 40mm EP this morning by accident. Dunno if I really need it BUT I WANTED IT OK!!!!!! :D

Sulk!

Glance over to my scope and think "One Day I will actually get to use you"

Most of the time though I spend reading books and planning my next trip/targets, which always change! :-)

Ray

When i cant use my scope im usually looking at other scopes which I can neither buy or afford at any point lol. Other than drooling over scopes I like to clean it up, read tutorials, listen to podcasts and generally make an attempt at expanding my knowledge of all things astronomy. :D

Seems all your voodoo fantasies might just have worked Rob (at least at this end) .... this morning when I awoke there was a lovely cooling grey stratos layer keeping the baking sun at bay, allowing the fresh cool breezes to chill us to such a point that I even considered donning a pair of jeans this morning ... that thought did not last for long though. :)

The sun hastily burnt off all the cloud allowing all the tourists to once again hit the roads, scurrying around desperate to find a spot to burn themselves to a cinder in their very own patch of skin-shrivelling and searing sunlight ... and no one ever listens when they say that that stuff'l kill ya ... mad dogs and tourist go out in the mid day sun :D

Here's hoping the skies up there stay clear for you this and many more nights, but don't send it all our way, shove it over France and Germany instead :)

Well gods be praised!!!!

Last night was clear up until 2 am!!

apart from the near-full moon and local light pollution all was well in my world for a few happy hours :D

Got to see Jupiter, Uranus, the double cluster in Cassiopeia (NGC884 and NGC869) and M31.

I promise next time i'll send the cloud to France instead after all The Algarve is one of my fav places. I've visited Alvor and Olhos D'agua and love the people and the places

TTFN :)

Archived