Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best tripod?

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my handheld 8x56 bins to something fatter - at least 70mm. I'll probably go for the revelation range - 15x70, or 20x80 or similar. The thing I'm least confident on is the tripod. What do I go for in order to satisfy my desire for an economical grab n go setup for my back garden or to throw(gently) in the boot of the car for trips away?

Have a look at car boot sales, a ew years ago i found two heavy duty Manfrotto tripods which have been used to carry allsorts of scopes ad bins. Only this week we picked up a very nice lightwieght but sturdy Velbron tripod WITH carry bag for........................£8

Bob

I can't comment on the Amazon tripod, but I have had a Horizon tripod for 3 years and it has not let me down.

Normally I mount 15 x 70 Skymasters on it, but recently it has had 20 x 80 on and these were rock steady. From my experience I'd say that up to 90mm binoculars should be OK, over 90 it might be a bit top heavy.

Jon

I was going to suggest having a look at the redsnapper tripod. It's great. I've used mine with my C80ED mounted on it, with a 2x TC both for wildlife and the moon with my 450d. And whilst it can take a couple of seconds to settle for the moon (as the exposure time can get a little long), it holds up well. The the three way head doesn't seem up to much (it's rated for 6.5Kg whereas the legs are 10Kg) then the large ballhead is supposed to be great.

I bought the Horizon one today from Telescope House(I live nearby). That plus a pair of 15x70 cheapo bins has delivered some great views of the moon already this evening. It was great watching the kids(4 and nearly 3) taking it in turns to get a good view of the moon - much easier for them to operate than the dob(!)

Thanks to everyone for their advice. The Horizon seems very sturdy and handles the 15x70s no problem.

Alex

I was at my club this week and a pair of Revelations 25x100

and a Horizon 8115 was fantastic combo

or a william optic tripod I will ask Steve at First Light optics

Doug

Essex

The horizon I bought has proved to be rock steady as suggested. It's great being able to give the kids an easy view of the moon and so forth. The milky way is looking v nice in the 15x70s.

Archived