NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stellarium now V0.10.5

Hi Forum, I was just checking out the Stellarium home page and noticed in as incremented up a version number from 0.10.4 to 0.10.5. Will look into what has changed into the changelog later, but a heads-up anyways.

Cheers,

xmal

I upgraded a couple of weeks ago, although my old one was something like v9.7 so I noticed a few differences. TBH I think I actually preferred the controls on my old version better then v10.5. :rolleyes:

Now to find the download for McNaught and how to load it. :)

I am totally new to astronomy and downloaded the new version.

To me works well, except for one small problem: I have set the location to my country which is fine. However when I try to alter the clock and date from GMT it seems to get all confused and shows incorrect day/night phases. For example, if the GMT is 9 am, my location is set in Asia, everything fine, evening daylight shown. If the clock is altered to my local time of 5 pm, then my location starts to show a completely dark sky as if it were midnight. Very strange.

I hope I explained that okay.

As a program, it is just incredible in that it shows what I should be able to see.

I was amazed last night when I used it.

It now has a 'no OpenGl32' option (whatever that means) for people like me with a stupid laptop that won't run stellarium 10.4.

Its great news because it will now run on a laptop or pc without an OpenGL compatible graphics card....which is a great thing if like me you have a steam powered laptop with old on-board graphics.

I am totally new to astronomy and downloaded the new version.

To me works well, except for one small problem: I have set the location to my country which is fine. However when I try to alter the clock and date from GMT it seems to get all confused and shows incorrect day/night phases. For example, if the GMT is 9 am, my location is set in Asia, everything fine, evening daylight shown. If the clock is altered to my local time of 5 pm, then my location starts to show a completely dark sky as if it were midnight. Very strange.

If you go into the Configuration Window (F2), then Navigation, what do you have selected under the "Startup Date & Time"? If you have something else then try the top one: "System date & time". This should pick up your PC's system date & time so it should be correct for your location. :rolleyes:

Budgie: I have the "System date and time" checked.

It is 17: 48pm here in Asia and it is a bright sunny late afternoon.

Stellarium however shows a completely dark night sky.

Very bizarre.

But if I set the time to GMT, then programme shows the correct late afternoon view. I'm not sure why??

Thanks for the help though ^^

• 1 month later...

This version of Stellarium runs much smoother on Ubuntu than Win7 or vista, I have it loaded on all OS’s on my tri-boot Dell Inspiron 1545, and the irony is, as always, the Linux drivers are more up to date than Dell's own drivers for the PC, so no OpenGL 2 problems in Ubuntu, but even the latest graphics driver update from Dell for Win7 dose not support OpenGL 2

This version of Stellarium runs much smoother on Ubuntu than Win7 or vista, I have it loaded on all OS’s on my tri-boot Dell Inspiron 1545, and the irony is, as always, the Linux drivers are more up to date than Dell's own drivers for the PC, so no OpenGL 2 problems in Ubuntu, but even the latest graphics driver update from Dell for Win7 dose not support OpenGL 2

I am stuck with 10.2 as I use Linux Mint and version 10.5 is not in the automatic download and upgrade facilities yet. I have downloaded 10.5 source but I am unsure of how to install it from source and don't want to mess my system up !

As regards Dell, I use an Inspiron 1520 and amazingly Dell do not recommend running Vista 64 on this machine (I tried and had hardware problems) However Linux Mint 64 installed no problem with all the drivers !

However Stellarium 10.5 runs fine in Vista 32 on this machine. One of the problems has been ATI graphics cards not supporting OpenGL 2

Have you tried the following in a terminal?

I know to a point what I am doing but after removing 10.2 and trying to install 10.5 in the terminal I just get this message and keep going round in circles ?

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

stellarium-data stellarium

Authentication warning overridden.

Selecting previously deselected package stellarium-data.

(Reading database ... 143375 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking stellarium-data (from .../stellarium-data_0.10.2-1_all.deb) ...

Selecting previously deselected package stellarium.

Unpacking stellarium (from .../stellarium_0.10.2-1_amd64.deb) ...

Processing triggers for man-db ...

Setting up stellarium-data (0.10.2-1) ...

Setting up stellarium (0.10.2-1) ...

Mint then reinstalls 10.2 .

I have uninstalled 10.2 using both the package manager and in the terminal.

Think I'll wait till my brother arrives on the 30th as he is a UNIX expert.

Cheers...Paul

Archived