Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tent heater - what do you use??

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a Halogen heater which was about £12 from Go Outdoors. It's got a safety switch so if it gets knocked over it switches off. I wouldn't recommend it whilst you are sleeping though. we got one like this Quartz Heater 400 - 800W | GO Outdoors but there's a few at Camping Equipment | Camping Stoves & Cookware | Cool Boxes the gas ones look more portable (maybe the parabolic one is appropriate :rolleyes: )

Thanks guys. I do find the halogen one a bit alarming! Hey, I'm a Health and Safety Advisor! I did wonder about an electric blow heater as I would only really be camping at star parties so I would need lecci! But nothing calms my jittery health and safety nerves!

I was so cccccccold at SGL5, even with three hottle bottles, that I was at risk of getting hypothermia! I did one thing very silly: I left the tent door open until I went to bed so everything was damp! Awful. I ended up using my hair dryer! :rolleyes: And this is with my super-duper sleeping bag, me fully-clothed with my furry-lined hat on!

Thermals and lots layers of clothes and a hat. A very big sleeping bag, and a large duvet to stick your head under (and keep your nose warm - always the worst bitas no matter what you do it'll keep you awake) .

Better to use electric if you can. Gas heaters like the calor ones have quite a bit of water in them which could mean it rains inside the tent the next day - if it ever warms up in the daytime that is.

Best way of all - hire a motor home!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks guys. I do find the halogen one a bit alarming! Hey, I'm a Health and Safety Advisor! I did wonder about an electric blow heater as I would only really be camping at star parties so I would need lecci! But nothing calms my jittery health and safety nerves!

I was so cccccccold at SGL5, even with three hottle bottles, that I was at risk of getting hypothermia! I did one thing very silly: I left the tent door open until I went to bed so everything was damp! Awful. I ended up using my hair dryer! :) And this is with my super-duper sleeping bag, me fully-clothed with my furry-lined hat on!

ha ha hilarious - don't use a halogen heater but hypothermia is ok?? and a hairdryer in a damp tent?? :rolleyes: I'm just being cheeky BTW :)

Use a fan heater if you've got electric hookup - warms up our awning in 10 mins so a tent it'll be half the time. Make sure there's plenty of ventilation though to avoid a dry atmosphere or condensation build up. Source a good one in camping/caravanning shops and magazines for reviews :rolleyes:

Very good point.

We tend to have a duvet underneath the sleeping bag as well as a thicker one above. But in addition we have two of those foam sleeping mats under the airbed, this stops some of the cold striking up.

That was a lesson learnt late last year. Warm as toast :>

Hot water bottle helps too, takes the inital chill off.

Oh and wearing a hat in bed - especially those of us who are a little follically challanged like me :rolleyes:

Electric fan heater is a bonus - but can get on your nerves esp if it rattles.

AlanB

Don't forget that insulation underneath you is very important as well.

Again, insulation underneath. It's worth twice what goes on top. Thermarests are great and Decathlon do some own brand extra thick ones too. I have seen thick Thermarests in the States but never in the UK. I find them better all round that airbeds - warmer, more comfortable, self inflating, very durable (mine is 18 years old and marching on.) Plus there is a seat kit adapter so light that I even took on my long cycle tours in faraway places. Nice to sit down at the end of the day...

Olly

I use a "wife"...

No moisture issues (well, not yet), but the running costs are high. You tend to find the packaging wears out after a while and that causes the inner section to "grumble" and "complain". You need to water well with wine to stop this happening....

Another downside is no matter how big the bed is, there is never quite enough room for two people at 5am, and let's not talk about the gas......

Archived