Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pirate Eye Patch ? (and other stupid questions...)

it was my first night out with my !127 Mak last night and I loved every minute of it. I only really looked at Saturn but OMG what a wonderful sight it was!

I have a few questions now though..

Is it the done thing to wear a pirate eye patch over the eye you ooooaaaarrr not looking though ? I found it hard keeping my unused eye closed. I have a pirate patch already, or rather my 5 year old has :D. So, do people wear patches ?

My second question is the focussing ? is there a less frustrating method ? It seemed that i'd turn the knob a bit to get and then have to wait for the 'scope to stop wobbling before I could see. It was impossible to see the focus while i was actully focussing. Is this something that will get better with practice ?

Can you recommend me a good finderscope with a star diaganol.. I have got big dirty patches on my knees :D

Thanks,

Sarah :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a pirate eye-patch. Even has a skull and cross-bones on it. Best 99p I ever spent. I admit I do feel a bit of a plum wearing it at public meets, but it really does make a tremendous difference to viewing comfort and that means I get to see more cool stuff.

Focussing gets easier with time and practise.

Rik

Kev, Boots the Chemists stocks them, including nice comfortable leather ones (more than 99p though).

For years the only way I could go outdoors in daylight was wearing one (not that it did much good).

Thought I was beginning to turn into a smurf even! :D

(or was it vam.... something or other? never mind)

Hi Worzel!!

See what I mean about all the answers!! I also have to admit to owning an eyepatch and I do use it especially when my ********* neighbour leaves the upstairs bathroom light on! It helps keep some of the light away.

Focusing on a small mount (presumably on a tripod?) will always lead to a bad case of the wobbles!! There is not much you can do about it until you upgrade to a solidly built mount on a pier that is firmly bolted to the planet!! - actually you could try adding some weight to the mount - like resting paving slabs against the tripod legs or hanging a bag of bricks from the tripod. (Yes I know this sounds daft but it will help!!)

It's a goto mount so quite flimsy anyway and the tube already seems lke quite a lot of weight for it ( the ota is only held on by one bolt too but thats another post...) I don't think i'd want to hang anything off of it. It wasnt a huge problem anyway but i figure if it annoyed me during my first observing session then either I need to get better at it or it is going to bug the hell out of me.

PsychoBilly.. a toy box is a great idea!

LOL at Smurf!

To be honest I recon if your wearing an eyepatch for any reason at all it would be wrong if it didnt have a skull and crossbones on it.

Is it the done thing to wear a pirate eye patch over the eye you ooooaaaarrr not looking though ?

Only if you balance it with a green stuffed parrot on the other shoulder. And a wooden leg :D

I pulled my rotten shed down 3 months ago Bizi and it has yet to be replaced, We just have a patch of bare soil and a kitchen full of garden tool.. I could try for an Obsy but I don't much fancy my chances :D

Re: the diagonal, will this fit? It seems pretty good value ScopeTeknix 1.25" premium-quality diagonal

These are supposed to be nice finders (atm the RDF that came with my 'scope is ok, but I may get one of these at some point) Finders - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

I think she meant a finder with a diagonal, not a finder and a diagonal - hence dirty knees! :D

I tried the eyepatch route but found that I lost all ability to judge distance and ended up regularly bashing my eye into my eyepieces... so regretfully I gave the eyepatch to my kids and I've returned to the holding a hand in front of my non viewing eye.

James

what a discussion, lol.

I personally dont have an eyepatch yet but will get one. I used to do a lot of shooting when in the ATC and an eyepatch was essential to stop fatigue. A stop at the local chemist is in order I think :-D

Sorry did i use the wrong terminology ? Yes i meant a finder i could look though from the top :icon_scratch:

I will definatly try the clothes peg tip, what a great idea!

Its seems the eyepatch idea was a good one :)

An eyepatch is a great idea for two reasons, firstly you can cover the eye your not using when at the eyepiece making it easier to observe and secondly you can cover your observing eye with it when not at the eyepiece. Your eyes work independently of each other with regard to night vision so you can expose one eye to light whilst protecting the other.

As for focusing you could try a focuser with a 10:1 ratio makes fine adjustments very smooth and easy.

Archived