NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pirate Eye Patch ? (and other stupid questions...)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I much prefer to use a straight through finder and keep both eyes open. With my left eye I look directly at the star and my right eye through the finder. I then slew until the star through my left eye comes towards the finder view and low and behold that star then apears in the finder. Centre on the cross wires - job done. When viewing with a right angled finder I usually do not have a clue as to where it is pointing and hence do not know which direction to slew.

With regard to the dirty knees, I always have a foam garden kneeler to hand.

Dave

With my left eye I look directly at the star and my right eye through the finder. with a right angled finder I usually do not have a clue [...] I always have a foam garden kneeler to hand.

It's the same for me. Two-eyed alignment - plus my wife gave me a kneeling pad that was a promotional gift & that's invaluable for polar alignment etc.

I tried the eyepatch route but found that I lost all ability to judge distance and ended up regularly bashing my eye into my eyepieces... so regretfully I gave the eyepatch to my kids and I've returned to the holding a hand in front of my non viewing eye.

James

Now, that made me laugh because I know would do exactly the same.:)

Sir Patrick Moore used to wear an eypatch and that's good enough for me - must get one sometime lol. If you're in a heavilly light polluted area a large hoodie or dark blanket/towel over your head and e/p will give better views. Better still find a really dark site where it won't matter.

As for the tripod - cheaper ones can often be improved by stripping down, replacing lubricants/grease, tightening up fixings, and clever use of washers. There's a thread by johninderby (I think) describing the procedure - if I find it I'll post here.

Hanging a measured weight under the tripod legs isn't a bad idea for damping down the wobbles but you'll have to judge how heavy it needs to be.

Cheers :)

eye patch?great idea in theory,but i get ridiculed enough :) for being a "star gazer"

Dont worry. Once you also dont wear a towel or a t-shirt over your head no one will notice you.

I was looking at eye patches the other day on a European astro retail site. They were selling them for about 8 euro...........................

The shipping cost was 18 euro.

Ha....................i wonder do they sell many.

Street cred?

No no.............................that went out the window the day (night) you started observing.

aah................ i had been wondering about the last 30 years of vainly trying to look cool,all becoming clearer now (unlike my astro-imaging :))

i had been wondering about the last 30 years of vainly trying to look cool

Best way to look cool is to observe naked. In January.

Check your local A+E unit is well clued up on hypothermia and frostbite first :)

Best way to look cool is to observe naked. In January.

Check your local A+E unit is well clued up on hypothermia and frostbite first :)

Bringing astronomy into the extreme sport field.....................

I like it.

Just make sure no naked flesh comes into contact with any cold metal parts of your gear.

Try explaining THAT to the doctor in A&E at 4AM.

They were selling them for about 8 euro. The shipping cost was 18 euro.

That's bad - especially since I've just discovered that posting a Plossl eyepiece from London to a buyer in Finland is cheaper than posting it to someone in the UK!!!

(weird!)

Archived