Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mk III - some info emerges :)

I was trawling the web for info on availability/details of the 'redesigned' Baader Hyperion Zoom and found some tidbits which I thought I'd share, this was quoted on another US forum but not sure of the original source...

The new completely redesigned Mark III Hyperion Zoom is now in its final stages of release, estimated to reach US vendors by the 2nd half of June 2010; it's been a long wait for many but the patience will be amply rewarded as the improvements made on the new zooms seem to be quite substantial, and considering that the current Hyperion Zoom is by itself an already excellent eyepiece, the new revisions and upgrades will surely further enhance its stature and desirability among astro enthusiasts. Here's a list of the improvements expected of the new Mark III Hyperion Zoom:

- optical quality further enhanced by optimizing the curve geometry of inner lenses

- internal zoom actuators and lens group centering made more rigid while allowing less play

- thermal response of mechanical system further reduced with thermally matched metal components to allow use under even

harsher environmental conditions

- greaseless movement of internal zoom lens group

- clickstop mechanics improved with greater smoothness and almost noiseless operation

- focal zoom positions optimized and refocusing requirements minimized

- dust protection enhanced throughout and front (telescope side) lens-group actuator sealed

- eyelens-group made watertight to seal eyepiece from rain during terrestrial operation

- large eyerest rubber cover redone to make the eyerest scratchproof for eyeglasses

- eyerest hight adjustment made greaseless with step-curved click rest - as found on high quality binoculars

- eyerest assembly is now fully detachable for creating "nose space"

- small Hyperion rubber eyecup added to fit M 43 thread

- camera adapter thread changed from SP 54 to M43(SONY) for a variety of afocal camera adaptations

- accepts photo-adapter M43/T-2 (M42x0.75 /item #2958080) for easy and rigid adaptation of various DSLR-T-Mount rings

Above features add to the known excellent features of the Hyperion Zoom:

- HQ-optics providing an ultrasharp undistorted flat field across the full field of view at each magnification

- excellent BBAR (Phantom Group) coatings throughout - for a brilliant view field - brighter than many competing units

- designed to accept adaptation onto various Digital and DSLR-cameras for use as a high quality projection optic with

variable magnification

- equipped with 1 1/4" and 2" nosepieces

- adapter included to thread onto Carl Zeiss Diascope spotting scopes (M45)

- adapter included to thread onto most Celestron and Synta/Skywatcher spotting scopes (M35)

- reaches focus on all above spotting scopes even for very shortsighted observers

Looks tasty, I so want one for my main "convenience" workhorse eyepiece :D

Dave

post-19338-133877454234_thumb.jpg

post-19338-133877454239_thumb.jpg

post-19338-133877454242_thumb.jpg

Looks nice but I'd love to have seen an increase in the AFoV delivered across the focal lengths. As the "blurb" does not mention that I'm assuming that it remains as it is. Antares seem to be the only people able to deliver a wide angle zoom.

Looks nice but I'd love to have seen an increase in the AFoV delivered across the focal lengths. As the "blurb" does not mention that I'm assuming that it remains as it is. Antares seem to be the only people able to deliver a wide angle zoom.

And an absolutely brilliant one at that!

hmm, whats the focal length range of the Antares one ? I can't seem to find it by googling, found some Speers Waler ones but they only have very short ranges like 5-8mm and 8.5-12mm which would explain the lessened reduction in fov across the zoom.

I must admit, I'm so eager to get this eyepiece into use I'm pondering a used MkII, but they are not coming up either and the new one does look to be a good redesign. There's a Mk1 on eBay right now but thats getting expensive too.

Oh well, patience, patience.... :D

Dave.

hmm, whats the focal length range of the Antares one ? I can't seem to find it by googling, found some Speers Waler ones but they only have very short ranges like 5-8mm and 8.5-12mm which would explain the lessened reduction in fov across the zoom...

The short FL ones are the ones I'm talking about - the FoV offered by the 5-8mm is 82 degrees and they are reputed to be very sharp and "Nagler-like" :D

The short FL ones are the ones I'm talking about - the FoV offered by the 5-8mm is 82 degrees and they are reputed to be very sharp and "Nagler-like" :D

Indeed, I have the 5-8mm mk1. In fact I read somewhere that the field is 82 degrees at 8mm and a whopping 89 degrees at the 5mm setting. Its a brilliant eyepiece and stands up very well to the ethos, never mind the nagler.

Its very impressive even if it has 9 elements. I actually think it has an inbuilt barlow to get the variation in mag. That could explain the high number of elements.

The reason for the small range of these zooms is indeed down to the fact they are an 82 degree eyepiece with a movable barlow on the bottom. You could get the same result by stacking eyepiece extenders with a suitable eyepiece to get the different mags, but it wouldn't be very convenient. Although I suppose if you had a variable length projection adaptor it could work.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Another page of info on this e/p :

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark III (8-24mm) - 1.25" & 2" barrel - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

Wish they would hurry up and get them out the door :D I've been repeatedly tempted to give up and go for the William Optics Zoom II instead, just so I can get some observing in with it !

Dave

Archived