Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would you buy this scope?

johninderby

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on guys.

Would you or wouldn't you?

Ugh. A car I have to look at, it's often dark when I'm using a scope.

Saw the top off & paint it a respectable colour, then I'll offer you £50 for the car. Provided it has a full fuel tank.

At f5, I hope the mirror is a paraboloid.

"With a 6.5mm EP, you can see the gap between the rings and the planet".

Not at the moment though.:D.

They are not referring to the Cassini division of course.

Ron.

Nalu (my 2-year old daughter) loves it! She wants to buy it. When she said that, I really stopped for a moment, considering it... :D

She reads my astronomy magazines, makign me a list of suggestions for purchases! Apparently, though, she realises the pink telescope is too good for me - that she wants all to herself!

Andrew

I have vented before on this - I think that scope is an affront to females in so many ways. It kind of suggests that women, poor benighted creautures that we are, would only be enticed by something pink that we can attach plastic flowers to or stick on a sparkly Hello Kitty or maybe some fluffy bunnykins.

Gee I dont know much about astronomy but I do like fluffy kittens Mr Chumley Warner.

I havent wanted anything pink since I was about 8 years old.

Ugh - horrid and the scope should be deep sixed along with its seller on ebay.

Oh no. Designer Scopes. Imagine where this sort of thing could lead: Armani Nexstar, Westwood Lightbridge, Evostar by Yves St Laurent. Maybe a new TV series: Gok Wan's 'How to look good naked in the garden at night'.

My 6 year old daughter would like it. BUT I'd not go out of my way to let her see such a thing :D Besides for 10 quid less she got a "White" Orion 6" Reflector, albeit used. Guess the Orion is better! Even if they did use a nasty cheap and sloppy focuser!

Wayne....

I have to admit I have seen worse. Considerably worse.

It really pained me to have to do it, but I just had to walk away from a brand new Ferrari Dino that was being offered at a humungous discount (quite a bit less than a Morgan Plus 8 at the time).

It was offered at a humungous discount, because someone had ordered it in a special colour, and when it arrived, they were so horrified at how it looked, they'd walked away from a rather massive deposit rather than take the car.

Three test drives I had of that car, and just couldn't buy it.

The problem was, a 'proper' paint job (and if it's a Ferrari, you don't do paint jobs that aren't 'proper') would have entailed a complete strip down of the car, and would have cost a little more than buying one at full retail in a decent colour.

The complementary upholstery had to be redone as well.

It was an 'interesting' brown, let's leave it at that. It ended up going back to the factory to be redone.

So I went and got a quicker Kawasaki H2 750 instead.

I have to admit I have seen worse. Considerably worse.

It really pained me to have to do it, but I just had to walk away from a brand new Ferrari Dino that was being offered at a humungous discount (quite a bit less than a Morgan Plus 8 at the time).

It was offered at a humungous discount, because someone had ordered it in a special colour, and when it arrived, they were so horrified at how it looked, they'd walked away from a rather massive deposit rather than take the car.

Three test drives I had of that car, and just couldn't buy it.

The problem was, a 'proper' paint job (and if it's a Ferrari, you don't do paint jobs that aren't 'proper') would have entailed a complete strip down of the car, and would have cost a little more than buying one at full retail in a decent colour.

The complementary upholstery had to be redone as well.

It was an 'interesting' brown, let's leave it at that. It ended up going back to the factory to be redone.

Any pics, I would love to see that.

Any pics, I would love to see that.

I do so hope you mean the kwaker. :D

Well, there's always:

pinkstinks - Home

A few positive images and cause or two, for genuine concern. But somehow, I failed to get terribly excited. My experience of supporting "causes" is that it's nice work if you can get it and few of their mature advocates look far outside their own issues to the plight of others? :D

As a single, non-parent, I aknowledge, for some, I am but a "part-citizen" (LOL) and disqualified from comment. But I have sometimes imagined the pleasure there must be in parenthood. I imagine, despite the difficulties, rather than "banning things", teaching kids to THINK about such stuff... :)

Aside (fascinating!) link to: Tereshkova

Although I have come to genuinely appreciate REAL support from my own (male) sex, in latter years, a lifetime career spent in the company of MALE scientists has often tried my patience! LOL. I suppose my fantasy has been of raising an... idealised daughter as the new Marie Curie - But with (more than) a HINT of "Alexis Coleby". And, if her introduction to astronomy had been a PINK 'scope, I would have cared rather little... :D

P.S. Must remember to remove that "Hello Kitty" sticker from the 'frac... [part serious] :)

I think that scope is an affront to females in so many ways.

Ah c'mon it's harmless. Telescopes come in various different colours - if you don't like this one, you don't have to buy it do you? They do cars in pink and there are people who buy them. My girlfriend loves her pink bass guitar. what's the difference? Granted, it's unusual with a telescope and this one probably doesn't look attractive to anyone other than kids, but still I don't think there's cause for offence.

They do cars in pink and there are people who buy them.
Not round here ... I do know someone who once bought a car in Peugeot/Talbot "fern green", probably the nastiest colour I've actually seen on a road vehicle :D

Archived