Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sneaking things in under the radar!

MarkF

Awesome thread! Really made me laugh at some of the tactics!

My own experience was smuggling in my first scope and mount when I first got into the hobby.

We live in an apartment block for which each apartment has a basement storage room, where she never goes. Ever! If anything has to be moved to and from that area, that's my job.

So, as I travel a lot on business and my usual plane gets in after midnight, smuggling in the big boxes was really quite easy. I ordered them to arrive at the office during my business trip. I checked them onto the plane and managed to avoid extra luggage costs. On arrival at the house I dumped them in the basement store.

As an added bonus, it happened she was away the night I returned so I got to unpack the gear and have a quick play with it before she returned the next day.

Then I was left with the small problem of how to actually get to use it when I wanted to. So eventually I had to confess, but fortunately my birthday was close by, so I told her that she'd bought me a telescope for my birthday and that it was gonna be delivered in a couple of days and not to worry about the cost as I'd just had my quarterly bonus at work. I then asked if there was anything she'd like, as I guess fair's fair. Also a good way to take the heat off the purchase. Of course, she blew her lot on shoes and clothes....again...oh well...keeps her happy I guess!

David

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, with a bit of luck, my (equity release!) "partner" will shortly & considerably augment the astro-budget. As for "Her indoors" - A few inquisitive sniffs, a head rub or two, and a general walkabout on TOP of the box should confirm that any addition to the territory is my personal gift to HER. She is, of course, my CAT! :)

Hi Mark,

I've lost count of my other half's classic line, we've all heard it, ..."Oh that, I bought it ages ago, don't you remember".

:) That's what my wife says except she adds "haven't you noticed me wearing it" and then I feel guilty. Blimey women are much better at this than us plodding men!

Well here is my confession. I could never lie to my wife (it's true!! Never been able to do it) however.... if you ever want an FSQ 106 start leaving articles on 20" dobs lying around. Talk about 20" dobs over breakfast to the point where you start to get that dangerous look. Then say you've seen sense, she is quite right and you are just getting a little refractor because it will be much more practical.

It works, then you just have to manage the financial audit trail!!

On of the main benefits of being a female observer is that chaps are a darnsight more laid back about this sort of thing and he indoors has always supported my whims. If it keeps me happy, then he's happy......:headbang:

I always tell him about my purchases regardless - and the rule in this household is as long as the bills are paid, the food's on the table, and we aren't in debt, then I can spend any spare pennies on whatever I like! :D

(It does help being the main breadwinner, too. :))

I am stunned! I hadn't realised that I was joining such a criminal underworld when I joined this forum. I'm afraid I was born a serial 'rule obeyer' and so wouldn't dream of syphoning off the family finances in such a naughty way. I have always saved my birthday money from my mum (43yrs old is a lot of birthday pennies), so I can spend guilt free. However, next time I have enough cash to buy something interesting I shall ask my wife if we can just pretend that she objects so I can smuggle it in. That way I can get the thrill of the contraband without the risk. :)

Ps. A 10" OTA ought to fit quite snugly into a plastic composter available from your local council for a few pounds.

Its amazing really because when women come home with a pair of shoes worth £500 they show them to you and give you a look as if to say "Yeah!?! you got a problem with that?".

They dont care if we have a problem with that or not...so why ask the question in the first place.

Now ladies dont be dissin me about this cuz you know its true.

I guess I'm just lucky. the sort of women I'm attracted to don't bang on about how I spend my hard earned, or care if the walls are looking a bit shabby around the edges, or even give out if there's washing up still in the sink from last night's takeaway.

Yes, I'm single at the moment. :D

Archived