Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from south Somerset!

davy999

Hi to you all.

Just thought I would drop you all a note to say hi.

I used to have a scope several years ago but the quality was dire, so as always it found it's way onto ebay.

Several years later I still have the itch to see more of the night sky.

I am contemplating a new scope, love the idea of powered auto-tracking and auto alignment. My old scope shook like crazy if you even breathed on it, never mind try to track anything or adjust focus.

I have been looking around many sites to find more info, stumbled across your forums and thought that this is the place to be.

I am hoping to do some astrophotography at some stage.. some of the pics I see here are awesome, not sure I could ever either have the skills to do them or the money, but I suppose I will have to see what would be possible with the budget I have in mind.

Any suggestions are welcome but I will have a good trawl around your forum to glean what info I can that is already out there.

Well, enough of my drivel for now!

Just wanted to say hi and look forward to conversing with you guys in the future.

Dave :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi from me too - the quality of off the shelf scopes these days from Skywatcher is brilliant and the prices have dropped by miles over the last few years.

Ask up in the beginers forum whats good and I am sure you'll get lots of help.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to SGL. I wish you luck with getting back into the hobby and hope that you get some joy out of it.

I've recently got into this and trying to get my first decent astro-photograph done. Its not been particularly easy with a lot to learn, but I'm getting there thanks to the great people and advice you can find here on SGL.

Cheers,

David

A big HI from North Somerset here Dave :)

Welcome to the forum. Don't let your past experiences put you off - there are some excellent scopes available today for very reasonable prices - just try and avoid the e.bay "temptations" if you can !

Hi Dave,

A very warm welcome to SGL. :)

If you're leaning towards astro-photography, a good place to start is with the book Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards, steppenwolf here on the forum.

It'll guide you through imaging from the start, covering everything from kit to techniques, helping you choose the right equipment and tools, whilst avoiding expensive mistakes.

Hi Davy999, welcome to SGL, You will find it really great here! You are fairly close to me then - im in West Buckland, just outside Wellington!

Have fun mate, all you would ever need to know can be found here.

All the best,

Gary

Wow

So many replies already, so much better than a forum I joined recently, I said my opening Hi and not one reply.

Now, off for a read as suggested by davido.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ha! I used to make car parts at a certain factory in Merriott about 10 years ago! At the time i lived in Crewkerne - above the Kings Arms pub!

Gary

I work in that same factory I believe, plastics?

Hi and welcome to the group :)

If you don't allready have it get "Stellarium" free download planetarium software - it's great!

Great idea, even has MAC version, looks like very useful bit of software to learn simple navigation of the night skies.

Thanks

Archived