Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

first sight of the ring neb!

Daniel-K

this was my first time trying to locate the ring nebula and found it first go its pritty easy just in between those two stars under vega i used my 25mm ep just wish i had my 10 but i sold it :D but none the less i had a nice veiw of m3 and the double cluster also the double double still yet to locate m81

Ahh... now I know how to get the ring nebula. Thanks for that! :D M81 and M82 are dificult, but persevere - it's worth it. With a wide angle ep (eg 30-40mm) you should get them both in view simultaneously.

I saw the ring nebula in the mid '80s when I visited the Tod astro centre. I'd love to be able to find it again, but I doubt if my wee skymax will be man enough for the job. Perhaps when I return to blight-y..........

I reckon most scopes could find this so give it a go. it's quite a bright object and really worth looking for - it will make you take your breath in when you see it! just point it about half way between the two stars (Sheliak and Sulafat) as Melibum says and it will be on the left hand side of the line joining the two. Good luck and well done Melibum!

Tis funny likkle doughnut in space! :D

Now you have found that try dropping down and getting your peepers on the dumbell nebula!

I'm racking off them there Messier objects bit by bit! I've been at this hobby now for about 7 months and my observing skills have shot through the roof! the ability to find objects in the finderscope that a few months ago I would have past by or not even have noticed is wierd.

Hang in there mate, don't give up! Galaxies can be tricky little buggers atthe best of times!

Clear skies!

....Now you have found that try dropping down and getting your peepers on the dumbell nebula!...

I love the Dumbell Nebula :D - it's in the constellation Vulpecula and appears a lot larger than the Ring nebula.

I got my first look at The Ring Neb last night found it using my 32mm and it was great at 10mm. I also managed to find M13 and M92. The 32mm is a great tool for finding things :D

I saw the ring nebula in the mid '80s when I visited the Tod astro centre. I'd love to be able to find it again, but I doubt if my wee skymax will be man enough for the job. Perhaps when I return to blight-y..........

Just to mention that from light polution hell where I live, the ring is very easy in my short tube 80 and the sky max 90 which I used to have. The fact that it is compact helps a lot.

I hadnt been out with the scope for what seems so long now until last night, made a night of it & actually took some time (& patience) to locate & observe objects other than my usual planets & lunar type stuff!

I found the Ring Nebula ok, although M3 was a challenge, almost came upon it by accident......but the biggie for me after months of searching...........M81 & M82!!! FINALLY. I was beginning to think I'd never locate them.

I made very good use of the book "Turn Left at Orion" & that along with Stellarium on my laptop helped greatly. I actually learned quite a bit last night.

Finished at 4am this morning, tired now but it was well worth the effort.

i found m3 again last night just to make sure i didnt find it be fluke chance im confident that i can find that 9/10 times yet to see m81 m82 but going on down to pembrokshire this week so nice dark skies down there might be a bit easier to find them.

Archived