Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Doncaster UK

klytus

Hi all my names Steve and at age 52 i've decided i'd like to get into astronomy again, last time being when i was a child with a christmas present aged 11 ;) before that i have fond memories of the gemini and apollo space programs when they were shown on tv especially 21/7/1969 :) and if i was really lucky being allowed to stay up and watch Sky At Night.

Still browsing around trying to decide what scope to get as well as reading a couple of books on the subject (ordering Turn Left At Orion today). Hoping for abit of advice on a awkward subject for me. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis which affects my spine and neck (and other joints) so consequently i have very little movement in my neck at the very least. bearing this in mind what telescopes would i be maybe capable of using? for instance using a scope finder on any telescope is probably going to be difficult at best.

Seem a good crowd here from what i've been reading, glad to be with you and look forward to joining in topics when i'm ready or have something to say :D

(Doh! date amended for apollo 11 crew on the moon to 21/7/1969 not 21/6/1969!, thought it did'nt look right somehow, i'll put it down to my meds yea that'll do it (only noticed when llamafarmer posted about his birthday))

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

A very warm welcome to SGL. :)

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice on suitable 'scopes for you, other than suggesting that a right angle finder might help.

However, I'm sure some of the forums disabled members will be able to give much better advice than I can.

Thanks for the warm welcome David, to be honest never occured to me to put a right angle finder on the finderscope. if i can track one down that may be answer to my problems then its a question of which telescope eg go for a skywatcher 130 to get up and running quickly,learning the ropes of telescope operation or save up some more and go for a goto 10" dob if such a thing exists not sure.

Hi Steve & welcome, david o has beat me to it with the 90 degree finder idea or a laser as Talitha mentions. It sounds like a portable goto scope might be the way to go with your health issues. There is a huge choice of these so I would trawl SGL for something suitable. All the very best, Ed.

Hi and welcome to SGL, Steve. ;) Some Amateurs here in the States use lasers as finders.. no need to bend down and look through anything. ;)

Another great idea, thanks Talitha (what a loverly name if you don't mind me saying :D ). thanks for the welcome :)

Steve, a Dob might be a good solution for you. Depends how much your R.A and A.S. affect your ability to lift and manoeuvre bulky things. You may find an 8" more manageable than the 10".

That said, Dobs are easy to set up, simple to use and have the highest ratio of aperture to pound spent.

If you can, get down to a local astro society or retailer and try one out with regards to size, weight and general manageability.

Hi Steve, welcome to SGL.

Not sure if you would be too popular with the good folks at Robin Hood Airport, if you used a laser!

Skywatcher and Orion do auto dobs, Iam not sure how easy they would be to set up, but once aligned they should do most of the work for you.

Hi Steve, welcome to SGL.

Not sure if you would be too popular with the good folks at Robin Hood Airport, if you used a laser!

Skywatcher and Orion do auto dobs, Iam not sure how easy they would be to set up, but once aligned they should do most of the work for you.

Do'nt suppose the police helecopter pilots that frequently fly over my street would be particulary happy either Baz ;)

Not too worried about Robin Hood Airport (i hate that damn name, should have stayed Finningley or Doncaster) it will probably shut again sooner or later way our friendly icelandic volcano is chucking out again hehe.

Must admit a dob is looking to be mighty tempting unless by some miracle i win the lottery then who knows...yea right :)

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum, dont really want to mention it but 21/6/69 is exactly one week before i was born.... Youre only as old as you feel, think of all the experience you have! hope you enjoy the forum

Hi Steve,

Glad you've decided to join with everyone here on the forum (.... mind you, there are some dodgy ones here - I know, I'm one of them!!!) :):D

The important thing regarding kit is to take your time and choose what's right for you for what you want to see. Astro baby is right in getting along to a shop and having a bit of a play to anticipate the different observing positions you might find yourself in using different kit and also of course, moving the kit around and setting it all up.

Wishing you clear skies ahead and the best of luck with your future choice of kit. :D

James

Hi Steve,

There's a local astronomical society at donastro.org.uk

Might be worth dropping them a line - I've never been over there myself, but I'm sure they'd let you have a look around some of their gear.

- Andrew

Archived