NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How bad is your light polution?

Mines pretty bad, the next door neighbour has security lights that come on with cats and foxes, they also have those annoying solar lights to light up their paths.

I have put up trellising so to hide it a bit, seems to have worked.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Londoner, It's probably as bad as it can get for me. It put me off buying a telescope until now, but in the end the urge to jump in became to much. I'm hoping the filter I'm getting along with my new toy will alleviate things a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
This country needs new laws on street lighting!!

It should be made illegal for any streetlight to project light upwards.

The street lights should be shut off at midnight.

Save money, save the planet and save astronomy!!!

There a great many people campaigning for dark skies. (you can join them & you get interesting pointers). They are called Campaign for Dark Skies.

I contacted my local councils highways & lighting department. I am in a corner plot in Horbury outside Wakefield. LP? I have my very own pollution! Three Street Lamps (the corner remember) and neighbours who are expecting the shuttle to land anytime now. Anyaway the council bods replied saying that street lighting conforms to a laid down standard regarding , height, type and lux levels. End of story.

I go to the Isle of Man quite frequently ( beautiful dark skies) they turn the street lighting off at midnight apart from the town centre (Douglas)

Some people have all the luck:cussing:

• 3 months later...

In response to the comments about sky beams, if you are on a route into an airport (even if its 90 miles away in our case) the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) get very interested. We had a problem with a nightclub shining a green laser into the sky. The CAA warned the owners that although they could not stop the use of the laser, if it endangered aircraft the penalties were almost unlimited. The nightclub shut down the beam.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Wow - The builders went through a street lighting junction box a few days ago and all the lights in my street have been off. I can now see the Moon and Jupiter - how cool is that :)

Shame they didn't cut through the main power to the industrial estate out the back where moronic factory owners feel the need to illuminate the entire area like daylight. Apparantley it deters theives in a way that their double layer fences with razor wire, cctv, guard dogs and security patrols dont - I am not kidding. The one out the back of me has twin fences topped with razor wire plus CCTV, security patrols, guard dogs - the works. You''d think they were guarding a nuclear plant but in fact its a software company- obviously there to deter the hard core theives who its well known will stop at nothing for a Nintendo game or a new spreadsheet application. Surpised they dont have a ground to air missile system just in case they are attacked by Blofeldt like villains in helicopters.

Anyway - result - I can see two or three extra stars. Last night I couold see the whole of Orion at about 4am. How lucky am I

I sometimes dream of building a giant EMP canon just to mess up their computers and it would serve them right if I did really.

Living in Surrey close to London, the sky is pretty much orange. It's such a shame.

The LP is one of the reasons why I chose to get the 127MAK over an 8" Dob at the moment, We usually go on holiday out in the country: Skye, North Wales etc so I am looking forward to taking the MAK on holiday with us to get some dark sky viewing (weather permitting). I could never fit the 8" dob in the car with kids, bags and dog, but hopefully I can manage the MAK.

I managed to get my 100 frac, tripod and mount in the car on the parcel shelf when I went on holiday in wales recently and there were 5 people and luggage aswell!

It was great to view with no light pollution for the first time even though I only got about 1 hour of partly cloudy skies. When I could see I couldn't navigate with my finderscope like I can in my back garden because there were so many stars visible. This was very annoying - need RDF!!!

Shame my 150 startravel didn't arrive in time.

The familiar orange sky. May I suggest you send a copy to your local councillor, the street light department and to any 'ratepayers action gorup' type of organisation that may exist local to you.

Simply point out that these are local taxpayer ££££ that are going into the sky and the council are therefore not spending wisely. Astronomy, wildlife and pollution are issues that appeal to some people for some of the time. But we all get worked up about money anytime! This is a tack I am taking on an ongoing basis in Nottinghamshire.

I thought mine was bad but it actually sounds as if it might be quite good!

I get the orange glow from birmingham but no streetlights that I can see and my neighbours only leave their security lights on occasionally.

Is there a website you can use to find out your nearest properly dark site ?

Interestingly a work colleaguie asked me today about a bright light in the sky towards the East - I qoute loosely here "Mel - do you know what a bright light in the sky might be - me and my neighbours keep seeing it recently and its a bit worrying. My beighbour said he heard a radio program where people were calling in a bit worried about it and what with 2012 and that - any ideas ?"

Errrm its Jupiter - been there for a few million years actually since about the time (in rough terms) that the solar system has been here.

There ya go - streetlights have wiped people so much they have totally disconnected from their environment and any form of nature. Leaving the field wide open for all sorts of uninformed and irrational speculations.

Ha ha funny but also quite sad. I read that after an earthquake in California, which knocked out the power including all the lights, people rushed out into the streets and were greeted by truly dark skies for the first time. Many were very shocked to see the 'bright night sky' and thought it had caused the earthquake.

I read that too Kris.

I have freinds that have been amazed when I have pointed out Venus.. I am not sure how you can not know Venus. I took my Binoculars to work on Tuesday because iIwanted to have peep an Jupiter and a couple of my colleagues had a look and were absoluty blown away by it. I generally think peope don't realise that it's possible to see other planets from earth so they don't bother looking. It's a real shame.

Several of my friends wouldn't dream of going out in the dark either and think people who enjoy the night are weird.

I've got some friends like that who are amazed you can see anything from your back garden and I sometimes think, don't you ever look up? There have been many nights when I have been walking home admiring Orion's belt or even just the moon, but it seems people don't really notice these things. Sad really.

I met a lady once and I mentioned I had an interest in astronomy and she said 'Do you know what I just found out last week, the sun is a star. Can you believe it?'

Um, difficult to reply to that really.

Yup - when I was in Egypt a year or so back and pointed out a few planets to people the people on the boat were amazed 'you CANT see a planet from earth without a HUUUUGE telescope' they all said. So I passed over some binos and voila - gasps all round. Then I topped it off by showing them the ISS which conveniently passed overhead. The cruise boat almost capsized in the rush to get a view over the port side rail.

Its kind of scary that people are so disconnected and also sad as well.

I live in a block of four flats and have to view in my carpark which it is about 20 yards from two street lights, does sound like I've got it quite good though when reading some of your stories, no major orange glows but can't see anywhere near the horizon due to trees, walls and other buildings. It is quite annoying that no-one else understands why you would want to be in the dark, guess I'll have to try and put the 'scope in the car then pray to the cloud gods to send some clear skies coz I haven't seen any recently! Anyone who's in N Norfolk should gimme a shout as there are dark skies about but does seem a lot of bother when the only thing you know in the sky is Jupiter and a few (literally) constellations and you're on your own! I did amaze a mate though the other day when I showed him Jupiter with four moons 'live' through my little 'scope though, oh yeah!!!

Sarah, dont worry abouit that at a meeting. My own sky navigation is atrocious as lots of people will testify to. Astro is very kind to beginners and no one will get snobby on you I am sure.

Theres always the odd one of course but dont let that put you off because most people in this hobby are very friendly and only too happy to share.

Awww Matt if you had been at SSP you would have seen me mistaking Andromeda for M13 LOL

It was a GoTo glitch of the weird kind where the mount thought it was aiming at M13 when it fact it had suffered some sort of 'blip' and was aimed (almost unbelievable) at Andromeda. It did look wrong but I thought hey ho - anyway without taking a better look I invited someone to view M13 and they imeddiately spotted it was M31 (M100 or is it 101 at the edge gave it away LOL) how siully did I feel - laughs.

Anyway you would have been most welcome to look at something through any of my scopes even if I didndt have a clue what it was :)

Fortunatly I live under some of the darkest skies in europe:hello2:, (Connemara, Co.Galway) the only other places that I know of that are darker would be around Dingle and west Cork both in the west of Ireland, however thats offset by the fact that we have cloud cover 90% of the time ;)

I was at home recently (my fathers home) who lives about 20km north of Dublin city, I couldnt believe the light pollution, east, south and west were a bright orange, its funny with this country so much in the s*** with this depression, you would think they might turn off a light or two, save a quid maybe :).

Anyway some links I found on LP.

A good link for anybody in the states, it also has numerous dark site locations marked on it.

Dark Sky Finder

Map of the world.

The World Atlas of the Artificial Night Sky Brightness

Campaigns to save rural England, (from the french I suppose :p)

CPRE - Campaigns

Yup - when I was in Egypt a year or so back and pointed out a few planets to people the people on the boat were amazed 'you CANT see a planet from earth without a HUUUUGE telescope' they all said. So I passed over some binos and voila - gasps all round. Then I topped it off by showing them the ISS which conveniently passed overhead. The cruise boat almost capsized in the rush to get a view over the port side rail.

Its kind of scary that people are so disconnected and also sad as well.

It certainly is. I used to be connected but "disconnected" when I had to live in various towns for several years. I rarely looked up at night - due to the street lights dominating the night sky.

I'm beginning to think we ought to do night-time doorstep evangelism...armed with a pair of 20x80s and a good tripod, or a mobile big dob parked on the kerb... knock on people's doors and invite them to take a look.

Thanks ;), I did ought to bite the bullet and go, I know the West Mids group meet fairly often. People on here have been very generous with their time and very kind. It's the nicest website i've used so I know I shouldn't be worried about meeting some people but I recon I should at least be able to find Andromeda first (I cant!) :)

I've got a goto scope too, I really ought to use it!

Matt, we're in the same boat mate !

Fortunatly I live under some of the darkest skies in europe:hello2:, (Connemara, Co.Galway) the only other places that I know of that are darker would be around Dingle and west Cork both in the west of Ireland, however thats offset by the fact that we have cloud cover 90% of the time ;)

I was at home recently (my fathers home) who lives about 20km north of Dublin city, I couldnt believe the light pollution, east, south and west were a bright orange, its funny with this country so much in the s*** with this depression, you would think they might turn off a light or two, save a quid maybe :).

Anyway some links I found on LP.

A good link for anybody in the states, it also has numerous dark site locations marked on it.

Dark Sky Finder

Map of the world.

The World Atlas of the Artificial Night Sky Brightness

Campaigns to save rural England, (from the french I suppose :p)

CPRE - Campaigns

I'm about 20 miles south of Dublin city and the LP is not as bad as 20 miles north of the city. The northside is more industrial then the southside. Its still pretty bad out here.

Connemara has some FANTASTIC dark skies, as does west Cork/Kerry.

Pity that the last time i was in any of these places.........

IT WAS CLOUDY.

I was in Lanzarote a few weeks ago and most nights were cloudy too.

I think the clouds just follow me around wherever i go.

Archived