SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Northern lights

Hello,

With a group of 4 Belgian amateurs we visited the Polarlightcenter (Polarlightcenter) in Norway last week to observe the northern lights. We were successful 5 nights in a row.

The center has a magnetometer which immediately reports any disturbances in the magnetic field of our planet. When the curve on the monitor moves, you just run outside to watch the aurora borealis. It's as simple as that, provided there are no clouds of course :)

4464358197_aca13523e9_o.jpg

This image was made with a Canon EOS 450D coupled to an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens. The exposure time was 15 seconds.

The northern lights were often awesome, full of details and moving rapidly.

Peter

Superb. Is that a Peleng lens you were using? This trip must have cost a mint I'm very envious.

One of my ambitions is to sail around the Lofoten Islands, they look absolutely stunning. Don't think I'll be doing it in winter though!

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

To Martin B.: yes, this is indeed the Peleng 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens. It works okay @f/3.5 but is much better @f/4. Good lens although a tad too slow for aurora-work. The speed at which the aurora changes calls for a f/2 lens or faster if possible.

To Beyondvision: the 'green snow' can even be seen with the naked eye when the aurora is really bright. I have also made pictures of the aurora reflecting in the sea. The red coloration (oxygen at greater heights: 200 kms) was obvious in my pictures although my colleagues did not always capture it. My Canon EOS 450D is a modified one, i.e. the blocking filter has been replaced by one which allows for more red to pass. This had its advantages in photographing the northern lights.

On the following picture you can see the northern lights over the Polarlightcenter in Laukvik, Norway.

4464358343_47cd996dda_o.jpg

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 10mm @f/4, ISO1600, 15 seconds.

Peter

What a mind-blowing, jaw-dropping sight must have that been! I am yet to witness this wonder myself, but it is definitely on my "to-do" list over next couple of years. And very nice pictures here too!

Marius

Have just seen these images (unrelenting work commitments) and they are truly amazing and what makes it even better is that you don't need expensive equipment to see them.

Excellent stuff :(

Andy

Hallo Northern Lights,

Uit welke stat of dorp kompt u?

Sorry about my bad Dutch/Flemish.

I have Belgian friends who live in the area around Antwerpen - a very nice city.

I liked your image of the aurora borealis - good shot.

Tom

I have friends who used to live in Antwerp, but now live in Lippelodorp.

I still remember the coffee from "In de schadow", a coffee shop next to the Cathedral in Antwerp - some of the best coffee I have drunk.

I will be going on the Hurtigruiten in June and will stop at Svolvaer in the Lofoten islands - but at that time of year it will be bright sunlight all night : (

Tom

Archived