Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 12V power packs of lies!

I'm sure most of us have seen this particular type of 12V power pack - they're sold all over the place under many different brandings.

I have one of these and have been getting worried by just how quickly my HEQ5 Pro gets through its battery. My power pack is pretty new, I regularly top up the charge and generally look after it as one should, so I've been puzzled as to why I often get only about 3 hours use from it.

There are several on eBay right now making the same claim. Mine actually states on its sticker that it has 17.5Ah capacity, no less. WELL I CALL SHENANIGANS ON THAT! I just took my unit apart and the battery inside is very clearly marked at only 12Ah. Be warned.

So anybody got suggestions for a reasonably priced power pack which will keep an energy draining HEQ5 going for a good length of time?

EDIT: just noticed this was my 300th post - such a shame I spent this landmark complaining!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same trouble with my Skywatcher power pack. It was only the 7A version, and worked fine with the Nexstar, but hopeless on the HEQ5 once I did the synscan upgrade. If yours is sold as 17Ah and has 12Ah battery - take it back. That is misselling, and covered under the TDA.

I have an AC-DC converter now, which is worry free. I notice Maplins do the battery units independently. There are several threads on people's use of leisure batteries & gel cells as an alternatives.

M.

Sadly I can't remember where I bought it, as otherwise I would send it back.

I'd prefer something stand-alone rather than a mains adaptor, as I'd like the ability to use it anywhere, e.g., at star parties. There seem to be some reasonably priced 38 Ah packs around:

38ah jump starter - Google Product Search

But they look as though they're made by the same fibbers as my "17ah" pack!

Aldi have a 2-stroke 240v generator on sale this weekend for £59. Runs 5 hours on a tank of gas apparently. I guess you'd need a AC-DC adapter to go with it. I'd get one, but my partner has put her foot down on me buying more junk from Aldi/Lidl.

M.

I wanted battery power for my setup, so I bought a standard car battery (one that fits my old banger) and the capacity is more than enough for a weeks imaging/observing. I can now use this battery on the car as well if needed.

Regards,

I've been asked to post some photos of the offending pack, so see the attached to see how the battery doesn't live up to the hype.

Just to be totally clear: I didn't get my pack from Maplin, and just linked to their site above as a way of illustrating which type of pack I was talking about. It would be great if somebody who has one of these packs from elsewhere could look inside theirs to see if the same thing is going on. You simply need to remove the black screws on that back - a one-minute job.

post-17436-133877427765_thumb.jpg

post-17436-13387742777_thumb.jpg

post-17436-133877427776_thumb.jpg

post-17436-133877427781_thumb.jpg

I've been asked to post some photos of the offending pack, so see the attached to see how the battery doesn't live up to the hype.

Just to be totally clear: I didn't get my pack from Maplin, and just linked to their site above as a way of illustrating which type of pack I was talking about. It would be great if somebody who has one of these packs from elsewhere could look inside theirs to see if the same thing is going on. You simply need to remove the black screws on that back - a one-minute job.

Got two of that very type. Mine were bought from maplins a few years back. I'll have a look inside and report back.

I've never been able to start my car with them at full charge. This may back up the fact they ain't 17ah, but as I've said, I'll have a gander inside.

I bought a spare car battery. When the power packs die eventually, I'll be using that.

Andy.

I got a 110a Leisure battery from Camping Store near Gosforth Park in Newcastle... a good deal at £65

It's heavier but at least it isnt going to run out..... and i think there's enough juice in it to keep a small camping fridge running too amd the keeps a good few cans nice and chilly...... something to drink whilst im waiting for the clouds to clear......

PS.... those charging units are on sale in North Shields B and M bargains,,,,

Buy yourself a Leisure Battery, bought mine a few days ago, from alternativeenergystore.co.uk. I bought a 105ah Numax Deep Cycle Battery for £68.00, I used it a few times, plenty of juice left before it needs a 1st charge. I also have a Maplins pack which I probably use to power my camera now.

Cheers

Nadeem

This whole subject of battery power for telescopes and accessories is a thorny one. I get the feeling that pretty well everyone who starts out as a newbie gets caught out - I certainly did. In many ways it's a rite of passage.

Buying a good mount is seen as the occasion to buy one of the 17AH clones from the likes of Celestron of Skywatcher. These things are wholly unsuited to the slow pull of current over very many hours, and the presence of those ludicouus 'car starter' 250Amp thick cables and clamps is the giveaway. I have been caught out twice by accidentally draining the battery and then having to pay £55 for a replacement. Inmates here are well advised to steer clear of them unless a flashing red light, a useless radio and the ability to kick start a tractor at 3am are observing essentials.

Look instead to the batteries used by motor home users and boats - these, like your mount and heaters are designed to give up current over a long period of very many hours. The conditioning chargers that come with them are the right tools for the job too. It may cost a few quid more, but it's the best deal in the long run. Say "no!" to the Celestron car crankers.

Gerrymac,

That's an interesting perspective - I wonder how many of us would have thought of a battery's intended discharge pattern? I know I didn't.

The sad thing is that a few years ago I had a narrowboat, which of course had a couple of massive leisure batteries tucked away in the engine compartment. How I now wish I'd hung onto one of those bad boys!

I bought a Maplins unit in 2003, it gave 9 years of dedicated service. Died last month. Replaced it with another Maplins unit. Used it the first night, worked a treat. Gave it a full charge and noticed that the second time the dew heaters had stopped working 3 hours in. Used it for the 5th time last night and it barely gets the dew heater going at all. And despite a full charge period it always says it's only 50% charged now. Darn it!

Been there, don that, built my own portable deep cycle unit :eek: See the link in my signature. Pricey (~£150 for all the materials/battery etc, plus another wedge for the multi-stage charger which is essential) but now I shouldn't have any battery worries....

Right, I've now decided I'm going down the leisure battery route. And, if anyone finds it useful, I've just found the Astronomiser website where they have a load of really useful adaptors for making use of such batteries in astronomy: Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions
Ouch.... they're relatively expensive.... (I know this from looking into prices for my battery build...)

Buy yourself a Leisure Battery, bought mine a few days ago, from alternativeenergystore.co.uk. I bought a 105ah Numax Deep Cycle Battery for £68.00, I used it a few times, plenty of juice left before it needs a 1st charge. I also have a Maplins pack which I probably use to power my camera now.

Cheers

Nadeem

Did I read the weight correctly? - 21kg!

Archived