Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Eyepiece Filters - Unsafe!

NickH

1.25" Telescope Eyepiece Sun Filter on eBay (end time 25-Feb-10 11:40:02 GMT)

As speaking to idiots like this serves no purpose at all

I don't care how many disclaimers they put, this is unsafe and should not be sold in any way shape or form...it is irresponsible and would "in their words" leave you in the dark...at least in one eye..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the sun filter was bad - but looking further on the site I cam across the Pink reflector ;) they are marketing for the ladies...

To top it - they have showed some examples of what could be added in the way of transfers....so have pictures of the scope with transfers of hand bags on ;)

Just sent equality back a few hundred years.....

But they have put up a disclaimer regarding the filter - they are not doing anything wrong. People shouldn't to get too worked up about it - or you could or should be looking into things such as smoking/driving/drinking...which claim lives rather than loss of sight...

I strongly believe in Darwinism

ROFL...

Darwinism is fine...until a kid buys one... they are advertising something completely unsafe...like "here's a gram of heroin...it will only kill you if you inject it...so don't inject it"

They need to be either taken down or that item taken down... there is no middle ground

Hmmm!!

Will bite my tongue regarding children and internet...as I feel this isn't the place to debate it.

Only to say if a child can purchase items on the site without any parental input or supervision - then something must be wrong ?? ;)

The seller isn't being smart (I don't think morally he should be selling these) - but you just can't legislate for stupid people either side of the till.

Chris

Nick have you sent a question??

Mine is hopefully helpfull to your cause...

What mechanism do you have in place to prevent children getting these?? Regardless of the disclaimer on your site regarding these filters, You would be hard pushed to argue in law if someone were to damage their eyes by using this type of filter....especially your wordings in the disclaimer and the fact it is a removed eyepiece item ;)

I totally agree Nick....

A disclamer on a websit in no way helps the next guy who buys the filter second hand and as such won't have seen the original disclamer !

Also, talking to a few other people the disclamer isn't worth the paper it's (vitually) writen on and has more legal holes in it than a collinder.

Apparently they are banned in Australia and it's time they were banned here too IMHO.

1.25" Telescope Eyepiece Sun Filter on eBay (end time 25-Feb-10 11:40:02 GMT)

As speaking to idiots like this serves no purpose at all

I don't care how many disclaimers they put, this is unsafe and should not be sold in any way shape or form...it is irresponsible and would "in their words" leave you in the dark...at least in one eye..

Has anyone complained to eBay yet on this. They are pretty sensitive nowadays to allowing listings of potentially harmful products and the bad press it would give them.

John

Thanks

And for the record, Ant has removed the link for a good reason and with my full blessing. It is not sensible or clever to launch DOS attacks, so I apologise for encouraging it. They need to be taught a lesson, but let's do it the proper way

I always thought that if you were going to observe the sun it was best to have both. A filter at the objective end covering the enterance of light to the scope & one at the EP to????

This is assuming that its made of the right material and to a suitable standard.

Why not try to get the sale of these filters banned ? A suitably worded e-petition to 10 Downing St might help. I am sure there a numbers of SGL members who also frequent the other astro forums who could spread the word. SGL has over 5000 members, UKAI 4000, SN 3000+ , SPA 3000+ so even with some belonging to 2 or more forums that is still a large voice.

Peter

The pink telescope (fnarr fnarr) oh Lordy thats seriously bad and speaking as a girl with fashion sense I wouldnt be seen dead with it.

Color is good, style is fine but I'd want something a tad more sophisticated than a chavvy looking telescope ;)

As to the sun filters - well its his funeral - I'd not want to be standing tall before the man on that one. The damages claims could be horrendous and I think in a court of law you'd be fried.

A seller last year was selling something very similar to this. I found out someone in work had bought one, of course I warned him of the danger and sent quite a few e-mails to E-bay and after about 2 weeks I got a response that they will look into it, but nothing ever came off it.

I complained about another firm selling this kind of think on eBay, pointing out the potential danger. I no longer see them listed.

I made one purchase with this company. I have not felt inclined to make another. However, I get the feeling the proprietor is well-meaning, and not a vilain. There are warnings, unlike the other company I reported, although given the need to put warnings, I do wonder why he has bothered listing them.

I would be reluctant to raise a complaint about this myself, I would think a quiet word with the proprietor would be sufficient.

M.

Archived