Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Eyepiece Filters - Unsafe!

NickH

Hey guys,

Just to let you know that I have cut the listing on Ebay of the sun filters. I take all your concerns very seriously and it was never intended to be a way of getting something dodgy on to the market.

Hands up - we got that one wrong and have learnt!!

Now about those pink telescopes - that is a different matter .....

Kind regards

Alan @ Sky's the Limit

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A seller last year was selling something very similar to this. I found out someone in work had bought one, of course I warned him of the danger and sent quite a few e-mails to E-bay and after about 2 weeks I got a response that they will look into it, but nothing ever came off it.

eBay will not tell you whether anything came of it or not.

M.

Alan

That is the best email/thread/news this week...well done and thank you!! (shame it took so long to react though...)

But long live the pink scope!!!...sell many of those and hopefully nobody will go blind...(apart from colour blind!)

That's good then. As for pink telescopes...

Speaking as somebody who has a pink Xmas tree, I can honestly say that even in my queerest moments I would not opt for a pink telescope, or even purple. A deep metallic violet, possibly, but never pink.

M.

Yes...the hounds are back in the kennels on this one... worked though, and if it saved one persons eyesight...SGL with it's positive stance on moderation has scored a victory...

Thanks Ant for keeping the thread alive and sensibly run..

I take no prisoners...

That was the company I complained about before! The telescopes they were selling that had solar observation were withdrawn. Now it looks like they are at it again with these filters. I'd just complain to eBay - that seemed to work last time. You'd think they'd learned their lesson...

Nasty company. I bought two £200 Celestron telescopes they'd listed in Amazon for £15.99 (one so I could have the OTA & one to sell on eBay). Despite taking my money and processing through to dispatch, they cancelled the order at the last minute and refused to let me have them. I complained to Amazon about them as well. Box shifters who can't even type the prices in right. They deserve insolvency.

M.

Know what, my daughter BEGS me to get her a pink telescope, it'd be the only thing that might ever get her interested in actually looking through the thing, i'm going to show her that and offer to get her one for star parties I think.

Girls of all ages do coo over pink stuff, I put some pink and purple gardening gloves near our tills and the greater majority of my female customers couldn't resist picking them up, I dunno whether its cultural or chemical. For blokes they should have JCB make a telescope with hydraulic controls and levers like in the diggers. There is something immensely satisfying about sitting at the controls of a powerful machine, able to move tons of material with a flick of the wrist.

Back on topic, I wonder what the traders will do with the stock of filters they have bought. Unlikely to throw them out..........

Nasty company. I bought two £200 Celestron telescopes they'd listed in Amazon for £15.99 (one so I could have the OTA & one to sell on eBay). Despite taking my money and processing through to dispatch, they cancelled the order at the last minute and refused to let me have them. I complained to Amazon about them as well. Box shifters who can't even type the prices in right. They deserve insolvency.

Hang on, let me get this straight. They're a nasty company and deserve insolvency because they refused to sell you two scopes at a price that was clearly a typo? Considering you was planning on selling one of them on for presumably a fair profit, isn't that a little harsh?

Tony..

Why not try to get the sale of these filters banned ?

As though banning was a solution .... and the way HM Govt miswrites legislation, we'd find lots of safe, useful products covered by the ban, too.

In any case, eBay sales from abroad would still result in these things being imported privately ... like overpowered laser pointers, which are IMHO very much more dangerous to the public at large than solar eyepiece filters - which will harm no more than one person at a time, whereas a fully loaded jumbo jet crashing as a result of the pilot being dazzled is likely to kill hundreds.

Hang on, let me get this straight. They're a nasty company and deserve insolvency because they refused to sell you two scopes at a price that was clearly a typo? Considering you was planning on selling one of them on for presumably a fair profit, isn't that a little harsh?

Tony..

Absolutely. I can be exteremely harsh.

They advertised them at that price, not me. They refused to sell them at the price advertised. We ended that conversation amicably, as it happens (as the guy said, he was relieved I'd not ordered ten and they hadn't noticed - I didn't want to be greedy). That is not why they are a nasty little company. They are a nasty little company because that is what they are: box shifters who can't get their prices up correctly, and when they make a mistake break a contractual agreement rather than take responsibility, and (has been shown on two occasions now) have no concern for the health & safety risks of items they supply.

M.

the other clowns selling these filters are being as difficult. I just told them it's a non negotiable discussion, they remove the items or I hit em with trading standards and ebay...and then...well my preferred tool of choice

I do hope you havent told them you are going to use your web testing tool to ddos them and strongly discourage you from doing so in any event - your concerns legitimate though they are will not protect you from the consequences of such illegal action and be in no doubt should you carry out that implied or direct threat you will be committing a criminal offence for which you may be imprisoned.

Please do maintain your campaign for safety but think carefully before you act illegally.

I am not and will not be using any DDOS tool...and have not suggested that I will be to them in any way shape or form, and I know the law full well (and also have a sense of humour!). BTW...the software I have is a web vulnerability scanner, not a DDOS tool, nor is it recognised as a DDOS tool, its use in verification of website security is valid and not illegal in any way shape or form.

There are many ways to do things...:-)

I do hope you havent told them you are going to use your web testing tool to ddos them and strongly discourage you from doing so in any event - your concerns legitimate though they are will not protect you from the consequences of such illegal action and be in no doubt should you carry out that implied or direct threat you will be committing a criminal offence for which you may be imprisoned.

Please do maintain your campaign for safety but think carefully before you act illegally.

Don't worry - NickH has arranged for them to have a visit and lessons in Baseball.....;)

No..

Nick has contacted them and asked them to remove their filters, otherwise Nick will contact trading standards and Ebay...and Nick will let the whole world know that they are refusing to de-list unsafe items..

That's all Nick has done :-)

Regarding Pink scopes.

When Nikon brought out their excellent ED50 bird spotter, one of the finishes was also pink. Not quite as lurid as these ones mind you.;)

As for the solar filter. Saw them on ebay too. Quite surprised that they were selling them seperately, new. Tal used to include these in their scopes kit, along with other colour and moon filters. Never really knew why, considering you got a sun screen and aperture mask included. Got a few of them. Would I use them............hell no. Crack sizzle, springs to mind:icon_eek:

As with most things in life. Shouting at the seller achieves nothing. Quiet intelligent emails are the way to go. Well done to Alan, for removing these from sale.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived