Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

e bay apo.

couleurblue

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This person makes these and sells them on eBay. There a couple of people trying to do this, and I have met one of them. I understand about buying scopes with known pedigree - but if people only do that, then there will never be anubody 'new' coming into the market. I'd love to be able to support new people trying to get off the ground making scopes - but I'd only be happy spending that amount if I knew what I was I doing, and was competent to carry out technical tests to check the optics, alignment, focal ratio, focal length. collimation, etc. I'm not - but if you are, why not give it test (beyond a look over)? Everybody had to start somewhere - and several telescope manufacturers and innovators didn't have any background in astronomy or optics.

I think it would be rather nice to have a UK-built ED refractor that didn't come from China via a US supplier - although I think you will find that the triplet and the focuser will have come from there, bypassing the major brand(s) who seem to have managed to construct a virtual oligopoly of the market.

M.

Looks like a well made refractor, but the triplet lens, no doubt based on Tom Backs design, seems to be made in China, I do not think these will be in the same league as the USA Astro Physics Starfire or or TMB lense refractors, whose optics are manufactured in Russia, which I have read provide spectacular results, and so is the price, it may be well worth a visit to probe the matter further though.

The TS converts to £2,935. It does look the same, and is listed as 'new', no talk about the seller having made this one either - my mistake, I assumed this was one he'd made, as I have seen him list APOs he has made in the past (I have seen him selling a number of second-hand branded items).

If the TS is worth £3,000 - and this is the same scope - and new, then it looks like it could be a good deal. I tried to track down SET optics a couple of months ago, because I was interested in seeing how much the cell worked out at. I can't find the manufacturer again, but I did manage to locate something - I'm pretty sure what I turned up was Chinese, but it is a bit of a blur.

I've rethought what I wrote above, and TBH, if I wanted a home-made scope, I think I'd prefer to have a go at it myself.

M.

There's Kunming United Optics that make binoculars, telescopes and eyepieces that I've seen different brand names are selling e.g. the 70mm F6 ED and the 102 F7 ED by WO, Stellavue & Orion as well as the UWAN eyepieces. I've seen on there web site that they do not sell to the public, only to suppliers or companies wishing to put there brand name on them and probably only sell in bulk.

I have seen that this chap has three of these for sale and maybe that's what he has done. If these scopes are good enough, fair play to him if he wants to make a living out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Set is a one man band working from home in rotherham to where I went to see him when I picked up the scope .

He works closely with beacon hill telescopes who built my newt :)

The carbon fibre scopes he is importing and does not manufacture ,and also imports the optics for his other scopes and makes the tube assembly himself.

He says a web site is being built , which I encouraged so people can see what he is selling

He seems knowledgeable about scopes (helps ) and is a amature user with his own dome in the back yard

When I have done a proper star test I will do a small review of the scope , which I hope performs as good as it looks :D

Harry

Hi

Set is a one band working from home in rotherham to where I went to see him when I picked up the scope .

He works closely with beacon hill telescopes who built my newt :)

The carbon fibre scopes he is importing and does not manufacture ,and also imports the optics for his other scopes and makes the tube assembly himself.

He says a web site is being built , which I encouraged so people can see what he is selling

He seems knowledgeable about scopes (helps ) and is a amature user with his own dome in the back yard

When I have done a proper star test I will do a small review of the scope , which I hope performs as good as it looks :D

Harry

Ahha.

I've been keeping a close eye on his scopes on ebay and have hoping that someone on here would comment on them. They certainly look the part, but to hear from someone 1st hand is a true bonus. I had no doubt that the optics would be good as they are bought cells along with the focussers, but I had worrys about the build quality of the tubes etc. Also, to hear that he is working with Beacon Hill is a positive. That bloke is a truely nice guy. Have bought Tal stuff from him in the past.

Keep us informed.

Cheers,

Andy.

Having a simple website, explaining what he does etc would be a bonus and I'm sure would be a boost sales.

Would love to see him offering 'old fashioned' longer focus achros in the 5" class and above(hint, hint). I know you can buy the cells direct from Tal and at least one Chinese firm sells them on ebay too !

I'd buy one, but I don't have the skills to make the ota !!

And yes...........it would be nice to support a 'local' builder of scopes, rather than go to the expense of importing from abroad.

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: I wonder if he'd build an ota if you provided him with the lens cell and a focusser????

I suspect there are still areas where especially amateur R&D work might have it's place. I still dream of these novel designs for huge refrectors - The Hanwell 30" Dialyte etc. I also ponder *folded* designs with long focus achromats. Might avoid the hazard of pole-vaulting out of the garden, if one looses control of the beast! :)

Hello Chaps & Chapets, this is SET-optics. Glad to see that my products are finally becoming known. Ive used many apo,s, my triplets are as good as any ive come across and better than a lot. I will let Harry tell you all about the 130CF, then if any one intrested in one, my email address is steve7ernie@yahoo.co.uk i have 3 130CF ariving shortly, identicle to Harrys. I can sell them at superb low price. Yes i also make large f15 achromats to, upto 14" !!! Thankyou.

Archived