Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

before the big bang

well whoever or whatever caused the big-bang...they made a slight mistake i.e. they allowed for the physics, chemistry and biology that culminated in 'Big Brother'...oh dear!

On a more relevant note, who-knows, evidence suggests there was a big-bang, evidence suggests a universe of about 13.7Gy's, however 'evidence' also suggested that Mr.Hussain had 45 minutes of playtime.....so its a never-ending and sometimes fickle question.

My opinon; the universe is far older than 13.7Gy's, just cos we can supposedly 'see' that far doesn't mean that's the end of the road (i hate the raising currant loaf model to explain expansion!).

We can assume all we like but the more we find out, inturn the more questions are raised. However, our understanding of physics ain't too shabby so maybe we can have hopeful little pops at what happened in those first few seconds after and perhaps even the first few seconds before.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Brane idea.

But as echoed by other posts we can only "explain" and "imagine" by the known physical laws in our universe.

Personally I think that our universe is a product of an anti-black hole, quite possibly one of an infinite number that spilled matter into a multi-dimensional space, which is our universe. Black holes let material out, quite possibly acting as material 'plug holes' spilling matter into new universes.

"The generally accepted hypothesis in scientific circles is that nothing happened. There was no time, no space, no nothing"

Couldn't have been "no nothing" cos being a double negative it would imply there was something :)

Personally I think that our universe is a product of an anti-black hole, quite possibly one of an infinite number that spilled matter into a multi-dimensional space, which is our universe. Black holes let material out, quite possibly acting as material 'plug holes' spilling matter into new universes.

So, clearly, there are other Universes? And ours is just one among many.

Then what was there before all that? Did each universe have a different beginning or did they all start off together and then somehow split up?:)

So, clearly, there are other Universes? And ours is just one among many.

Then what was there before all that? Did each universe have a different beginning or did they all start off together and then somehow split up?:(

In the warped reality that is my mind, then 'yes', there are many other universes connected through black holes / anti-black holes. It may be that the anti-black hole(s) that gave birth to our universe disipated over time, leaving only a signature of their existence - a la the cosmic microwave background. In other universes they may be present and observable.

Matter I believe is infinite, so there was no 'before' - only gravity that gave rise to the first congregation of atoms...stars...galaxies and eventually black holes.

I'm no physicist. This is just my personal theory. :D

Matter I believe is infinite, so there was no 'before' - only gravity that gave rise to the first congregation of atoms...stars...galaxies and eventually black holes.

So, as I get it, you're saying there was always mass, no matter how far in time we go. Only, there were no stars or other celestial bodies as such.

What existed before the big bang, well probably another big bang in fact an infinite number of them - taking it one step further we have of course already had this conversation ( and an infinite number of times) , on the other hand of course maybe before the big bang there was simply nothing - that of course is a difficult concept to grasp

John B

(who hopefully is imaging on an infinite number of clear nights)

I think what Joselin means is that the universe is already there - and that we are the product of a microuniverse created by the big bang ??:(

Say like the night sky is already there - but a firework going up into the night sky exploding creating the universe as we know it - but in reality within a larger universe...?

Our universe was here befoe the big bang but was a completely emtpy void, big bang happens then stars, galaxies etc are formed.

I think you are assuming that the big bang involved the creating of stars and galaxies. It did but that's only a little part of it. More importantly the dimensions of space and time came into being. Before the big bang, according to the theory, there was no space and no time so what would it be that was already there? You can't say a void because a void exists in space. 'Before' the big bang there would have been nowhere to put your void...

It is, perhaps, possible for a big bang believer to think that there might be other dimensions, some other kind of matrix, in which the big bang occurred.

My own feeling is that we lack a satisfactoy theory of time. Past, present and future? I suspect that this description, like so many others in physics, works 'locally' but I very much doubt that it applies universally. It may not even work in the quantum world of which we do have some grasp. The double slit experiment, the entangled photons experiment, the time reversal equivalence of positrons and electrons - all these observations suggest that we are missing something in our notoin of time.

Ooo-er. Spooky.

Olly

The idea of nothing being here before the 'big bang' just creates more questions with no answers.

I agree :D

Q1, Where did the singularity come from that created our universe?

A1, Whatever answer is given will only be a guess (theory).

Before the big bang always fascinates me but I believe most of the answers are beyond the human brain having the power to ever find the real answer. We will be in an infinite loop of finding answers that create new questions and so on and so on........ humankind will be long gone before an answer is ever found or perhaps there will never be an answer.

I think I have an headache coming on :(

"In the beginning was nothing, which exploded"

we all know a number divided by 0 is undefined and hence infinite so if nothing equates to 0 whatever it was must have been infinite and maybe it got bored, decided to stop acting silly, and become tangible.

by the way in how many dimensions can we see an explosion?

I know we don't "do religion" here.

Isn't the big bang - and other such notions of how we came into being a religion??

There is no difference from believing in a deity creating the universe or a scientific explanation such as the big bang...neither can be proven today - and require equal amounts of faith that their interpretation is correct.

Just posing the notion...not wanting controversy over it..or burned at the stake for suggesting such a thing :(

Archived