Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy..The most frustrating hobby ?

Tony.S

In the month or so since I started this hobby,I have spent about £700 on 2 telescopes & an EP but due to the horrible weather conditions & on the odd occasion of a clear sky (I think twice) I had prior arrangements & had to go out...So all in all I have managed about an hour & half with my first scope,the Vixen & only about 15 minutes with my new 12" :D

Please Santa, bring me a nice couple of clear nights...I promise I'll be good :)

Hi Peter.

I think Santa has just made good :D

I've just popped outside & the sky looks completely clear :) but & a massive BUT, boy is it bitterly cold & very windy out there.

I going to brave it,if even for a short time.

I'm off work till next year now and looking at the weather reports, it's going to be a long time before I can even think about getting out there

It is really annoying after putting in the time and money you need to get into this hobby only to have solid cloud :D

Ah i remember as a young lad that summers were hot and dry and every night of the year was crystal clear with millions of blue,red,white,green,yellow,purple,orange twinkling stars. It was only when i moved to an area nearer the countryside that i became aware that MOST stars are white. It was all the pollution from a nearby industrial estate near my old house that caused the stars to appear multicoloured. Glad i dont live there now. They build a dual carraigeway about 100m from the house i used to live in.

It's frustrating me at the moment. The sky above my house is crystal clear. Facing north, I can see Ursa Major & Minor clearly. And my (Oops!!, I mean my Little Monsters!) telescope is firmly packed away until Christmas Eve! Bah Humbug!

It's frustrating me at the moment. The sky above my house is crystal clear. Facing north, I can see Ursa Major & Minor clearly. And my (Oops!!, I mean my Little Monsters!) telescope is firmly packed away until Christmas Eve! Bah Humbug!

Any father worth his weight in gold would take his kids scope for a test drive before his kid gets it from Santa. Imagine the sadness that would come if the scope wasnt working properly on christmas eve.

It is your duty as a dad to take it outside (where the kids cant see you) and test it out.

Well,it proberly the most intelligent thing I have ever done but I took my dobs out onto the ice covered (note slippery) patio & spent a very nice 10 mins looking at pleiades with just a pair of track suit bottoms,trainer & thin sweat shirt on..Now the clouds are starting to roll in from the north east,so a quick warm up & have a quick look to the west.

Any father worth his weight in gold would take his kids scope for a test drive before his kid gets it from Santa. Imagine the sadness that would come if the scope wasnt working properly on christmas eve.

It is your duty as a dad to take it outside (where the kids cant see you) and test it out.

It's bedtime in an hour or so. You watch the clouds roll in just as I feel it's safe to do just that!:D

It's bedtime in an hour or so. You watch the clouds roll in just as I feel it's safe to do just that!:D

You might be ok with the clouds,the clouds that were coming over here have gone but there does seem to be more light pollution than usual in my area,an almost orange glow.

In the month or so since I started this hobby,I have spent about £700 on 2 telescopes & an EP but due to the horrible weather conditions & on the odd occasion of a clear sky (I think twice) I had prior arrangements & had to go out...So all in all I have managed about an hour & half with my first scope,the Vixen & only about 15 minutes with my new 12" :D

Please Santa, bring me a nice couple of clear nights...I promise I'll be good :)

Ahhhh so its YOUR fault.....

Perhaps a sacrifice is in order.......

Joking apart its like that:mad:

A whole 90 minutes of use :D You have it easy mate. My 8" hasnt been used since last August. The brand new EP is three months old and hasnt been used once.

Eeee - if I got 90 minutes of clear sky I'd consider myself lucky :)

Maybe I have not been so bad off then ;)

Before I got my scope,I had visons of spending a couple of hours most evenings looking at beautiful sights in the night sky,the other half bringing out endless cups of tea for me & making new discovories of unknown planets & galaxies...Mmmm imagination is a wonderfull thing :D

The carol singers are out tonight, and I don't want them walking into me and my scope, or cause one of them to have a heart attack when the hunched but attentive statue in the corner suddenly moves towards them with a single red light shining from the centre of it's head...:D

I'll pop out later when Orion is riding high...and tommorow morning to catch Saturn & Mars.....

Archived