Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark Skies - A call for help.

The_Major

This is a plea to all fellow astronomers who wish to do something about light pollution. We in the Campaign for Dark Skies have started a petition with the National Assembly for Wales calling on them to protect and enhance the dark skies in Wales. Unlike Number 10, Wales has duty to debate petitions, they have already changed the law on plastic bags as a result of a petition.

You don't need to live in Wales to sign up and it is our hope that if

Wales has a clear light pollution policy, the rest of the UK will follow.

Please spare a few minutes to sign up at National Assembly for Wales | Sign Petition

Thank you

Mark Major

Campaign for Dark Skies

Thanks guys, we are building quite a case, the petition has been going a week and we already have nearly 300 signatures (200 on paper) and have just received the support of the Astronomer Royal. Spread the word, if we can persuade a government to legislate then we can replicate this across the UK.

....and another from Wales! The sky by us is very dark but I know other parts of Wales suffer badly from light pollution. This is encroaching into the few remaining dark areas that are still left. My house is about as rural as it gets (middle of the Cambrian mountains) but the sky glow from Aberystwyth- some 20 miles south west- is clearly visible in this 2 minute exposure of the Milky Way.

Dscf4261.jpg

Our pristine, dark sky areas in Wales are a precious asset we should strive to preserve.

Our pristine, dark sky areas in Wales are a precious asset we should strive to preserve.

I live on the wrong side of the Welsh Border and can appreciate those dark skies you write of. The English majority seem to enjoy their light pollution, so it isn't as dark here as it gets over there..

Being in the mountains, do you have problems with low lying cloud?

What a goregeous part of Wales you live in. ;) I am tramping round that area often.

Archived