NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

All I can see are stars...

Robzy

I'm completely new to astronomy and despite where I point my telescope (even if I attempt to aim it at something) all I can see are really small stars. I have a Sky-Watcher 130P with a wide angle, 2x barlow lens and super 10mm eye pieces.

Can someone point my in the right direction to see something exciting tonight (I live just outside Edinburgh, Scotland). As I said I'm completely new to all of this and may just just be using my scope incorrectly (I've read a couple of books and the manual though!) ;)

Download Stellarium, it's a freeware planetarium that will show you your sky in real time.

As for something nice with your aperture you should see M31, M52, M2, M15, M27, the double cluster.

Look them up in Stellarium.

Most important thing to do is to get a star map (like those found in astronomy magazines) and spend some time finding your way around the sky. Identify key constellations and get used to how things look up there.

Use an eyepiece like a 25mm EP and then use your finder to locate objects in the night sky, Mick has given you a great list.

You may find it helpful to join your local astronomy society.

How new to all this?

Basically little use saying go look at M13/M31 or anything like that if you have no idea where to start they may be. It's a big bit of sky up there.

I know from experience of other things that no knowledge means that the basics are meaningless.

Do you know The Plough and Casseiopeia (however it is spelt)?

Also has your scope a finder on it, and is it aligned?

It is a fact, that randomly searching the sky for a chance encounter with a Nebula or Galaxy, will be doomed to failure.

These objects have to be systematically searched for, with the aid of a chart, or a Planisphere, or for those who have one , a GoTo scope.

Telescope fields of View, are very small compared to the vastness of the night sky, so you must use some aid in order to seek specific objects out.

You will soon learn how to use the telescope, as they can be a bit daunting when you first start to use one, particularly if it is on an equatorial mount. The best ally you can have, is patience.

If you have that, you can keep frustration at bay, and begin to really love what you are doing.

Ron.;)

The other posters have given some sound advice here - a good star chart (computerised or in book form) is essential to finding out where in the sky the interesting objects are.

Another key thing is to make sure your finder scope is pointing precisely where the main scope points - your scope instructions should tell you how to do this but it's easier to do it in daylight using a distant object.

You can also spend some time just using your eyes and a star map to get to know the main constellations. Pick one or two per night. Once you can recognise a constellation or two you can find out what interesting objects lie within it and where they are in relation to the brighter stars in the constellation - thats how you learn where to point your scope.

John

Have you aligned your finder well ? Without that, the very narrow field of view, means that even finding something like Jupiter is going to be really rough. I agree with Turn left at Orion, it's a really good book. Also, Stellarium.

The Pleiades (m45) are a spectacular sight, and can be found quite easily, as the brightest stars are visible to the unaided eye. Look to the east and look for something that looks like a very small big dipper (not the best description, but you'll see what I mean).

If you do try aligning your finder during daylight please make sure it is not pointing anywhere near the Sun, dont want you blinding yourself !

Remember to use the lowest magnification eyepiece you have when trying to find an object your searching for as the wider field of view will make it easier to spot what your looking for, then when you have it centred in your view you can always move to a higher magnification if required.

There are plenty of books showing the constellations, and as the others have said, the constellations are key to finding what you want to observe.

Theres no use looking for The Double Cluster in Perseus if you dont know where (or what) "Perseus" is.;)

If you have a conventional finder (ie a wee telescope attatched to the main scope) then you may find it easier to use a "red-dot" type finder to find your way around at first, as they seem to be more instinctive to use .

Hi there,

There's nothing like finding something to give you the enthusiasm to look for other objects .... and vice-versa as I can tell you are discovering.

"Star hopping" is the easiest way to find things. To do this, you simply use your eyes (no telescope) to look for a pattern of stars you can recognise. Then by following imaginary lines in the sky based on the stars you can see, you locate the approximate position of your target. Using your finder, you point scope at that position (which is why you need your finder and your scope aligned) and using your widefield eyepiece, move around in that area till you find it.

OK - clear as mud. I just Googled "star hopping m31" (without the quotes) and found this at the top of the list Art Russell's Monthly Messier Star-hops; November #1

Look at the instructions for finding M31. You need to find the great square of Pegasus. It is a very big square, so don't go looking for 4 stars close together. Stellarium, a planisphere or a star chart will show you where it is. Once you have got that, it is easy to see the other stars he is referring to and follow his instructions to see roughly where M31 is.

Unless you have very good eyesight and a VERY dark sky, you will only find a small faint smudge but that is it M31 - Andromeda - nothing remotely like the photos you have seen. It may not look impressive but the light making up that smudge has been travelling for 2 million years for the benefit of your eyeball, so don't knock it. ;)

Have a Google for star hopping to find M13 or the double cluster after you find M31 - they are more impressive.

This is may be useful too, it was second on my Google list - GUIA Star Hopping

Mike

after 3 years of naked eye observing most every clear night and reading the audobon field guide to the night sky many times over i'm now mostly familiar with the areas of the sky the constellations contain and the seasons and times of night they appear i have found that this has prepared me for the time when i can afford a nice 6 inch reflector....someday....i remember at first how overwhelming the sky is until you begin to recognize your new friends....good luck and perservere

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

I sympathize, I remember the situation you describe. The comments above are very useful. I'd add get a planisphere so you can work out what's visible when you are out and you can also use it to make sense of the sky.

Have you got any binoculars? A low power pair can be very useful when you're looking for objects and rewarding to look through in themselves.

When I started I would scout around for an object with the bins until I found it (or something else interesting) and then point the telescope in the same direction. You get better with practice. I have found a red dot finder helps with this, once you know where to look of course!

Finally don't be too hard on yourself. Tick of the easy targets first. The moon is very rewarding to look at and impossible to miss. Jupiter's good as well, the moons are constantly changing. Saturn was ace last winter, but not so good now.

good luck and stick with it

Alan

I agree with what ocean is advising. I have spent 2 months now in the back garden (not constantly) and now when i walk out at night i dont feel so confused about the nght sky. i have learnt alot of the major constellations and some astroism's (if thats right) and i have spent time and the laptop finding out more info on what i have seen. eg found capella and then found out more about it!!

It feel great to be going in the right direction. but it also feel great knowing i have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much to learn.

I am just about to get the bino's out and look for M36 ,M37 & M38.

i just wanted to post this reply as i am so new myself. Plan , research and plan again for the most rewarding of feelings.

I love this hobby and if u new me u would not beleive i have taken up somethin like this.

Archived